Can we not drive the car to different state without paying CA taxes lease/finance

Yes you can buy a car in California without paying CA sales tax and drive it ONE WAY to Michigan on what is call a CA DMV One Way Trip Permit.

I have bought (leased) cars in SoCal from Honda, Mercedes, BMW to name a few that gave me that tag to drive back east with.

It looks like this:

Valid up to 3 days maximum so you gotta get outta SoCal quick on this tag and back to your home state!

yep that what I had when I purchased my car. I did European delivery and got the best deal from a CA dealer.

What car? …

Do other states do this as well? By other i mean mass.

this was a BMW 335 diesel

Dealer gave us this for the drive but we ended up shipping.
But the lexus dealer says, since the car will be on CA roads for even few miles, you will need to pay CA taxes… so ended up paying that taxes…

At DMV in michigan, it a again a big story… DMV asked for title which we dont have, dealership said, lexus financial will update in their records and will then update DMV with the VIN number, which can take 2-3 weeks, so will need to go DMV later for registration until then temp tag from dealer is good for 90 days…

On a lease you will not have to worry about taxes. Typically they are collected monthly (in most states). On a purchase you will typically pay local taxes (hopefully your state has reciprocity) if you drive it off of the lot. If it is shipped you will not have to pay the local taxes.