Can this save Manual Transmission?

Can this save MT?

As much fun as paddle shifters. Or those buttons on the selector column.

Nothing like a traditional (clutch) manual transmission and some real horsepower. The power in taming the beast !

1 Like

Unless itā€™s cheap. Iā€™m not sure how much of a premium this is worth compared to a dual clutch system when you can fake it with a ā€œstickā€

Iā€™ve said this in other contexts as well, but I didnā€™t get the automotive nostalgia gene.

Apparently it skips a generation.

3 Likes

Nope because the people that want a manual will want a true manual and with EVs going to make up the majority of production going forward, it is too late. If this was introduced 10 years ago, it might have saved the manual.

7 Likes

Disclaimer: I have never driven a manual-trans car in my life.

I thought part of the fun in driving a manual was extracting the max potential from the engineā€¦ So, on public streets, a relatively underpowered car is fun b/c it makes you work more.

Article says that the system might include an electronic clutch that even provides some sort of feedback on when the ā€œclutchā€ is ā€œengaged.ā€

Even worse to make a complicated system to fake it.
For me the manual driving is fun as it adds to the challenge of driving. Always maintaining the car in the correct power band.

All moot with no gears in electric.

1 Like

I wonder why they think the clutch pedal was ever the problem.

3 Likes

True that.

I donā€™t think it will differentiate itself enough from other automatics.

The manual clutch has a very different feel & also serves a great purpose related to controling power delivery which i donā€™t think any automatic or semiautomatic system can provide.

ford doesnā€™t have a great track record when it comes to new transmission technology.

1 Like

Anything is better than Nissanā€™s

Genuine question: do you think there was just one problem? Or many problems (and which ones)?

For me, I think driving a manual might be fun. But I live in a metro area, so I honestly think itā€™d mainly be a PITA. Parking my office garage is super tight, and I often have to make multiple turns to get into the spot. And sometimes, when Iā€™ve had a tough day at the office, I just want to drive home in relatively peace and quiet (which wouldnā€™t include having to shift gears and work a clutch).

But I also kinda/sorta wonder if thereā€™d be fewer accidents if automatics didnā€™t exist since presumably you need to pay attention at all times w/ a manual.

There would be more accidents, as a ā€˜manualā€™ requires more skill to drive and some folk canā€™t multitask that well.

I think this is going to be a miss - if ever brought to mass market.

Those who want an automatic transmission want it out of convenience or for performance (think PDK). They either do not want to be bothered with additional driver input, or want to be the fastest. Plain and simple. Period.

Those that want a manual want it for engagement. They donā€™t care about being the fastest. They demand a third pedal and an analog shifter. Not only that, but they want to announce to the entire world they drive a stick, that itā€™s the best way to enjoy your car, it makes you a better driver, itā€™s a theft deterrentā€¦and on and on.

I canā€™t for the life of me see (with the exception of an extremely small sample size for the ā€˜uniqueā€™ factor) where someone that wants to shift manually would optionally give up a clutch for this.

On that same note, I canā€™t for the life of me see where someone that wants the convenience of an automatic would say you know what - I want to run through the gates. I would guarantee the vast majority of people with paddle shifters or manual shifting capabilities on their cars now donā€™t even know the last time they used them.

A true manual has its applications, as does an automatic, in my opinion.

Itā€™s black or itā€™s white - grey is useless to me.

1 Like

But thatā€™s sort of my point. I wonder if there would be fewer people driving b/c they could no longer multitask while driving. Or maybe people would actually stop multitasking? I know, maybe wishful thinkingā€¦ ::sigh::

Lol, you funny, less people driving? We got people who drive without licenses and people who canā€™t even tell the diff between the accelerator and the brake, and you think a little thing called a clutch will prevent them from driving?

Wellā€¦ yes.

If they canā€™t tell the diff btw the throttle, brake, or clutchā€¦ or know how to put the car into neutral, they wonā€™t even be able to start the car, no? If they somehow manage to figure how to start the car, they wonā€™t really be able to get out of first gear. And Iā€™m assuming their forward progress will be limited since braking (w/o knowing how to use a manual trans) will stall the car, right?

Fewer ā€˜accidentsā€™ is really what you said.
Think about all the people who make a single mistake while trying to shift. Thatā€™s more accidents, not less.

Less people on the road, and I believe more accidents.
On the good side, less people reading their phones because they are too busy shiftingā€¦haha

stalling/roll back on hills will cause more trouble/accidents. Thatā€™s the hardest thing to learn to do well.

Driving as a past time is dying in the US. Itā€™s just a mode of transportation now. Even a lot of people donā€™t learn to drive and just Uber/Lyft around in big cities.

But maybe car culture is dying in my social circle.

I never understand the craze behind the manual. Sure itā€™s fun and engaging for the time being. But daily driving anything in a manual is hell - bigger pain in the ass if you live in a metro.

Hardcore enthusiasts will argue driving to them is life - no oneā€™s life like that. Nobody

And the car journalist pile into this BS too - while driving back home in a Nissan cvt.

1 Like