California resident looking to lease from out of state (Arizona) - Advice on how to register in CA

Hi!

I’m a California resident and have found a good lease deal for a Jeep Wrangler in Arizona. I’m looking to see what I need to register the car in California?

It has the 50 state emission sticker and I know I’ll have to smog check and do a VIN verification. Looking at the forum I thought I would need a POA from the lessor (Chrysler Capital), lessor tax ID and title from the lessor.

However, the dealership noted California is not a title holding state, the lien holder holds the title. They noted I just need to take the purchase order to get my tags. Is that correct? I’ve tried to call CA DMV to confirm but I can’t get through.

Any advice and recommendations are much appreciated.

Thank you

Just get it in CA, look harder.

1 Like

When I moved from AZ to CA I needed to call the lender and have them send me Power of Attorney to register

2 Likes

Copying and pasting a previous reply I wrote. This is what you’ll need based on my own experience leasing and registering an Acura lease acquired from AZ in San Diego. The CA DMV will want the title.

**The lease is the most complicated one by far mainly due to how slowly paperwork trickles in after signing the contract requiring patience and persistence. Due to the timing of paperwork arriving and the 20-day rule, multiple trips to the DMV may be required. Schedule appointments in advance for the DMV visits is my advice.

For both purchases and leases, the fees for registration needs to be posted within 20 days of the car entering the state of CA otherwise a 10% penalty will be assessed. If you don’t have all of the paperwork needed, that’s fine. Just pay the reg fees along with items 1-3 below as items 4-6 can take time. You’ll be given a 60-day operating permit at that point. At least two trips to the DMV is needed if this is the case.

You’ll need:

1. Smog check
  2. VIN verification
  3. Form 343
  4. Permission letter and/or POA from lessor
  5. Lessor Tax ID
  6. Title from Lessor

In order to sign for the lessor on form 343, you’ll need to acquire a limited POA. Most banks are accommodating and will send out the permission letter and notarized POA within a day. You’ll also need the tax ID of lessor so that sales tax is deferred and collected with your monthly payment. Acura/Honda Financial includes the Tax ID on the POA documents. The last thing you’ll need is to have the title sent to the local DMV branch. Typically, the DMV branch will send a request letter to the lessor on your first visit. In rare instances, you can call the lessor yourself and request it be sent to the local DMV. I chose to work it from both angles.**

2 Likes

Did you try @Jeff_BeachCitiesAuto

1 Like

That’s like the opposite of what most people do. I’d say look a bit harder in CA

My current CA lease came from CA. My prior lease from Vegas, before that CA, before that Delaware. Sometimes the deal/car you want isn’t in-state, just like anywhere else.

1 Like

Think nota was just pointing out that AZ is notorious for non competitive leases. Can’t even count how many people advise for AZ residents to get a lease from CA