CA Volvo search -- questions, feedback & early learnings (Jan 2024)

Oooo the guy was just promoted to internet sales manager too. So hopefully he’ll have more power to ship cars out of SoCal.

Reading Benedetto’s deals and Aronchi’s Volvo deals in the LH Marketplace, but then seeing the dearth of discounts in California is totally maddening hah.

2 Likes

1000+ message threads and messages that are months if not years old make this resource a challenge. Hopefully my thread can help folks in a similar situation learn from my experience. Looks like both aronchi and benedetto are good for other regions, just not my situation.

Agreed its maddening, but at least most have been easy to get a quick response from. Better than being ghosted or spend too much time on overly complicated options for both buyers and sellers.

Re getting cars out of SoCal: Chris outlined that getting cars shipped to NorCal is possible but would incur about $350 in notary fees, and $4-500 of shipping. He suggested (and I agree) that a flight to Burbank could be an easier way to get the car up here.

Just make sure you have the option to buy out your lease at the end of your lease term. I have heard otherwise.

Also reach out to the Internet sales manager at the SoCal dealership via email and ask for their best OTD pricing. Don’t tell them if you plan to lease, purchase or finance except you need their best otd. Compare it with other dealers ( reach out to 5 or 6) to see who can provide the best abd lowest OTD. Use the lowest OTD number you get in writing to ask for the lease terms for AA credit. This way your lease amount is based on the best and lowest OTD. If they refuse to disclose this walk away and continue calling other dealers.

If you decide to lease I’d pay first month and dmv fees only. No $0 down and all the taxes and fees rolled into monthly payment. Again get into lease info AFTER you finalize your OTD number. Good luck!

That’s gotta be one of the weirdest piece of advice I’ve ever heard? Don’t tell them lease or finance just say best OTD?

I can’t see how that is effective.

Ah, the ol’ call the dealer and ask them how much they want you to pay strategy.

Lets them sent the stage for pricing, presents yourself as an easy mark, and removes your value to them as being a quick, serious customer.

I have only ever seen that strategy result in paying too much.

1 Like

Because you will then negotiate your mo. lease or finance amount based on the best and final OTD. OTD is comprised of all the fees and taxes to take delivery of the vehicle.

Majority of the ppl take delivery based on how much they want to lease or finance the vehicle without getting a full picture of the out the door pricing. Ive learned you should start with the otd and then decide to whether lease or finance. Again you don’t need to disclose how you want to take delivery until you finalize the OTD.

But you said

They need this information to give you an OTD price.
Leasing has different incentives than Purchase. And while both have the Best OTD, it depends on your needs.

It doesnt, as the incentives, taxes and fees built into a purchase OTD number don’t all apply to a lease.

These are mostly time-wasting strategies touted by people on YouTube who don’t know better.

1 Like

The good lease folks (usually internet folks) need to know all the parameters. The folks I’ve talked have told me to the total discounts (discount and lease incentives) without too much issue. It’s important to ask about the MSRP (what’s in the car usually since Volvo doesn’t have too many wild options/configuration) and, the total discounts (breakdown between lease discounts and price cuts) and the lease terms (MF, months, RV).

I don’t think the OTD approach is helpful if you are working the lease discounts from my conversations so far.

They can get to a monthly price quickly, but always unpack how they got there too.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.