C8 joyride by mechanic

It has happened before, and unfortunately it will happen again. Is there any wonder why the world has grown to despise car dealerships? I trust my vehicles with no one, and any test drives are to be preapproved by me. I would ride along, especially with any sort of performance vehicles.

I’m pretty sure that type of speed would classify as some sort of felony. Assuming there is a way to prove who was driving the car, that tech should be sent to at least do some dirty community service.

1 Like

Reckless driving and exhibition of speed and engaging in speed contest. Lots of things on the books to throw at them. In Ca it just takes a lawyer at some $$$ to downgrade them all. They just want their $$$ at the end of the day.

2 Likes

Still will force them to spend money. It’s not really a victory, but the employee who did that should have some repercussions right?

Absolutely, but if I was the owner the C8, my concern is to be made whole. I wouldnt care too much about the crimial stuff…But Id assume the tech would be fired…And agreed compensation should be made.

Makes sense, I’m just waaay more vindictive. I would literally want a new car under the argument that it’s a collector item for me and was never meant for racing. I would want the mechanic fired and charged with everything under the sun, and I’m sure I would be able to come up with more creative ways to take it out on the dealership.

Honestly, Chevy should separate Corvette dealership experience from the rest of it and force dealerships to adhere to different protocols, hiring practices, etc. When the car is pulling out, it looked like the bay at my local tire store and not a dealership that should be servicing a high performance car.

2 Likes

Reminds me of that Ford mechanic who took out the Terminator Cobra for a triple-digit test drive, then bragged about it on the Mustang forum only to get caught by the car’s owner.

And this was looong before dashcams were a thing.

1 Like

The funny thing in this market and the value of the C8, the owner can make money and still get a new car when production ramps up. Thats without having this debacle.

1 Like

I had a buddy in high school that worked as a valet at a popular restaurant in town. Whenever he got super nice cars he would joy ride them a couple of extra blocks before parking them. That all ended when he totaled an Aston Martin.

1 Like

Valet ticket always say they are not responsible lol. I went to a local tire shop that has 5 stars yelp reviews for just a wheel alignment and the guy had a 10 mile test drive, it was just a 3 series. People will say not a big deal but it pissed me off a little.

8 Likes

That’s why I either avoid them or if unavoidable pay them their blood money to keep the car up front.

Who here hasn’t seen Ferris Bueller’s Day off??? :blush:

ferris bueller's day off GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

Ferris Buellers Day Off Loop GIF

4 Likes

The article states that they are looking for the other driver as well.

I looked up the laws (as much as any layperson can) in the context of a parking structure and it turns their signs denying all responsibility had almost no legal standing in the state. YMMV.

They probably do a good job of convincing people not to sue over door dings though

1 Like

They probably do a good job of convincing many (most?) people not to hold them accountable for anything

1 Like

Big question here, what happens if the mechanic totals it, is the dealer on the hook for 100k? Or the “msrp” value of the vehicle.

Also how do you actually replace a customer’s c8 when there are literally none out there.

Never ever valet, especially after watching that movie :rofl::rofl::rofl:.

AlnIBAJ

1 Like

I read several articles about this crazy experience and I feel awful for the owner. I don’t know if he bought the car or leased it, however I would demand a different car, that car was not even broken in. Every time I got in it I would just think about how some loser beat the hell out of my brand new expensive ass Corvette and I what forever feel it is tainted….

Those valet ticket release of liability statements don’t hold up, a few years ago I was going to my dentist here in San Diego I valeted My jaguar XF. The valet service was ace parking which is well-known on the West Coast. After getting my car back I immediately noticed that the valet had pushed the start button so hard that it cracked. This was a $1200 fix from my local jaguar dealership, I did not even threaten litigation and Ace parking paid up the total amount, I guess I was lucky.