C8 joyride by mechanic

Depends on what the end goal is. If you want to have an excuse to chill in a dealership waiting room, that’s true.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m sure that I received that term from one of my older relatives. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Which raises another interesting point - why does it seem that the older generations are more apt to be super loyal with one brand? (from my experience anyway) Our grandparents, for example, will often have one brand and stick to it (whether it be Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, Etc.) I’m loyal/a big supporter of certain manufacturers, but not just one.

1. there were less choices
  2. why do people support one sports team?
  3. generational problem of “I don’t like change”
  4. identify based on the products and the image they are supposed to convey
    there are so many reasons.
1 Like
  1. True. That and the fact of limited scope, I suppose. No internet, didn’t exactly have cars shipped to your door, no shopping out of state, etc.

2. Different. Many of the younger generation will support one sports team, but will buy whatever vehicle they like the looks or price of.

3. True

4. Different. I don’t think that has so much to do with the difference in age. Younger people and older people alike purchase things solely on the image they portray; that is not more specific to one generation.

Just ask any NEW generation why they only buy Apple or Tesla. Same reason.
they liked what they got and they don’t need to ‘experiment’.

So this thread had me all sorts of paranoid when dropping off my rig earlier… :man_facepalming:

In any case, I tried a few of the things I picked up from this thread (left it dusty and requested no wash, reset the Individual trip stats, etc.), and I’m happy to report back that BMW Devon pushed it to a stunning average of 1.7 mph :rofl:.

4 Likes

better ask for some gas reimbursement LOL.

1 Like

Looks like he used up a gallon.

man and i was mad when i got my winter wheels put on my m3. they said oh you have some wheel shimmy. yes when you hit almost 90mph. they also had the gall to try to charge me $200 for essential a tire rotation. when i brought up that they went 90 mph the price dropped to $30.

there was that story with the GT2RS that was totaled by an aftermarket shop by the shops owner. can’t imagine that since that was the last of those for a long time.

Cloud connected dash cams if your car has no drive recorder. And honestly even if it does, cam footage is yours and yours alone, anything built into the car can be reset by the dealer.

1 Like

There’s apparently a good final outcome here…

1 Like

I was trying to find this to merge, but C8 was too short to search and got distracted. Thanks for posting that here.

1 Like
2 Likes

The X5 M should never be taken for a joyride, an M5 or M8 are the candidates to be taken for a joyride I’d assume.

1 Like

You’d be surprised what kind of idiotic rationalization goes through someone’s head when they decide to abuse someone else’s property. It doesn’t have to be fast or sporty to be a candidate for a joy ride. Also don’t forget, not every joy ride is for a sake of a ride. Back in college when I worked valet a few times, we had some valets take beater cars from customers to go to a shady part of town not too far to buy weed and they didn’t want their own car there or any of the flashy customer cars.

1 Like

Isn’t that the case with almost anyone? Like rental cars? Unmonitored test drives?

It’s just the fact of getting caught really that stops most people. Get away with what you can?

It really only matters when you’re on the other side - and its YOUR property. Or owned by someone you know etc.

While I see your point, your examples are all of non personal property and are covered by cost of doing business and specific insurances. There is a big difference at least in my mind between personal property and rentals.

I think the difference typically is when something, a car for example, is personal vs. impersonal. I don’t think it is so much whether you know the particular individual or not. The same can be said for stealing and the ethics behind it. Conduct a survey… I’m more than willing to bet that most people would have a difficult time stealing from another person, versus stealing from a big corporation or the government. There are often different levels of what is acceptable and different lines to be crossed. The idea of “sticking it to the man” is a likely culprit. For example:

-People will choose not to pay capital gains tax on a profit from buying/selling a vehicle. We’ve seen this numerous times on here. This is justified because taxes are paid in many other areas, and some feel that that money isn’t the best investment.

-Rental cars: XXX rental company charges you for anything and everything while using their vehicles, it won’t hurt if we don’t take the best care while using. They make money anyway and that’s also what their insurance is for.

• We can’t steal money from sweet neighbor Sally’s purse because that would be wrong.

See the differences?

In the instance of this Corvette that was to be serviced, that is stealing money from Sally’s purse.

Points agreed. Well, I guess it comes down to the fact that the mechanic felt it was OK.

I’m definitely not pure as the driven snow, so shouldn’t be the judge. Or at least my judgment would be biased to my own opinion.