Buyout or turn in BMW 340i ZHP edition?

The E46 ZHP package was considered kinda weaksauce when it was introduced, as was the “iS” version of the E92/93 coupe and cabriolet. People couldn’t get their head around the fact that BMW wouldn’t want to take it closer to M3 territory because it would take some of the halo (and sales) away.

Over time, however, the values started to diverge.

Same thing will happen here.

Great point. It doesn’t really change my decision, but yes taxes and effort both factor in to make it not exactly profitable to buy it, but still the best option.

Bottom line for me personally is that I want as much of a BMW sedan as I can get in my budget with a manual transmission. The stick shift is only only on the M at this point, and it’s not in my budget this month.

I did consider handing in my lease and then getting a regular 340 xdrive so the car could leave the house when it snows. That’s mostly what’s for sale out there. The RWD/stick combo is rare (and probably less desirable to the market overall). I already got snow tires and have a lot more fun with my current car so fun > responsible AWD in my case. It’s noticeably more fun to drive than a stock 340i.

I don’t think this will turn into anything “special” beyond the fact it’s a 6MT 340i - it’s really just a trim package and accessories beyond that. The E46 ZHP was a factory built car with unique features you couldn’t just buy from the dealer parts counter. Honestly this feels more like one of those dealer special trim packages I remember from when I was a kid (Tasca Ford in RI/MA always had something with wheels, pinstripes,
Etc) Not to be a downer but I have been a BMW enthusiast for 20+ years including many working “in the business” and this package doesn’t seem that special. A 6MT 340 is nice car in and of itself of course - I’ve had a F30 335 and 340.

I think the LSD is a big one IMO. Not many normal 3s with one and expensive to add aftermarket.

Yeah, the cosmetic parts of this car are pretty… well, cosmetic. The LSD and m power/sound are the real bonus.

1 Like

Agree, the LSD is the rare piece here but you can add one to any 340i - 6MT or Auto. Not cheapest but also not crazy $$. You can find the BMW part online between $2200-$2500.

What was in the E46 ZHP that you couldn’t add to any E46?

E46 ZHP was a factory model. It had internal engine tweaks that added ~10hp + higher redline and had different suspension components. Also some “unofficial” tweaks - some says steering feel was better (BMW messed up steering during mid-cycle refresh of regular E46 models and then spent a few years trying to get it right again). Special paint (Imola Red only available on 330 with ZHP, otherwise had to get M3) + alcantara seats. You could probably make your own ZHP but you’d be tearing into the engine and ripping apart suspension.

By comparison, this F30 is bolt on parts anyone can buy out of the accessory catalog next time then go in for an oil change.

1 Like

There were actually a lot of unique parts on the e46 zhp that weren’t offered as factory options or accessories: m3 style front and rear bumpers, minor internal engine changes that resulted in a slightly higher redline and a 10hp bump, lower final drive ratio (but no lsd), gauge cluster with red amber needles, the cloth/alcantara seats (pretty rare as a lot of zhp’s sadly were optioned with leather instead), anthracite head liner, shadow line window trim, unique 18" wheels.

From a performance perspective it really wasn’t all that much different than a 330 w/ sport package but it really was a nice overall package. And it was made in enough volume that it led to a small cult following. While 6spd zhp’s have held their value more than a non-zhp 6spd 330, it of course hasn’t taken off like e46 m3 values have.

So I’ve decided I’m going to buy out my lease on a 2018 BMW 340i. I’m thinking that I will ask to certify it in the CPO program and then finance it through BMWFS, u less the local credit union has a better rate.

My lease ends mid March. At this point I just want to figure out the best timing to buy it off lease and any other advice that you have.

In my first conversation with the local dealer they said that they are offering good deals on CPO and financing right now. Can anyone verify if that is true? Are there promotions/rates that I should jump on now? Or do you think Jan-Mar would be better? Or not matter?

Are there any ways to work this that would be better from a sales tax perspective or is it all the same?

Thanks everyone!

For them. If you get a bad deal they get a ‘good deal’. Never accept what a dealer tells you at face value especially now that used cars are selling for MSRP.

You are probably better off just buying the car and getting a BMW warranty that you can shop around for vs the cpo process.

Check my post here, it’s a bit old but I went through your exact scenario. Keeping my BMW lease, best way to go about it? - #36 by capt_slow

Paid about $1600 to CPO my lease and got the advertised CPO APR. Back then, there was no wiggle room in the buyout pricing, but there were incentives. Not sure if that’s the same now.

Also back then, as you get closer to lease end your payoff letter will reflect a more accurate payoff amount and any incentives BMWFS offers you. December is a bit too soon, so start looking at end of February.

1 Like

Sounds like it’s being advertised as an M, but isn’t quite an M, so if someone’s going to pay a premium, they’ll probably get a M.

But you never know, there might be someone who’s interested but doesn’t feel confident they’ll get an M. So they’d like this one instead.

Update on the lease buyout offer… The first dealer I spoke with offered CPO at a total of $1,915 which includes the “CPO fee, shop fee, and nav update.” Odd since I recently got an OTA nav update, and I think the CPO fee was about $1000. So there is about $915 in there for the certification inspection.

The BMWFS financing offer was 1.99% for 36 mos or 3.19% for 60 mos.

This was enough to make me just stop and wait. I have until mid March to hand it in. I’m not too optimistic it will get better, but I can extend the lease and pray for better buyout and loyalty incentives.

Or maybe they’ll be ready to build me that M3 I’ve been wanting. A guy can dream. Most recent statement was that builds are 6-8 months out.

Provided you have an allocated build they’re not so far out.

You should ABSOLUTELY buy it. We built an almost-clone of that car before the limited edition was announced; our build lacked the LSD and the rear CF diffuser and was gray, but had the 6MP and MPPSK. It was a TERRIFIC car, easily the best performing 3 series of its generation save for the M3 and M4. Yours has the added benefit of being a limited edition.

Your dealer is salivating over the thought you will return it at lease end so he can sell it in this crazy market for a huge profit. Don’t fall for that.

Buy the car, drive it till at least the end of the 4 year factory warranty, then either buy an extended warranty or list it on Bring a Trailer.

So, they made at max 33 or fewer of one other color? :slight_smile:

Sarafil while I always respected your opinion on Bimmerfest, I disagree with you here. The MPPSK is a factory tune, combined with the BMW sport exhaust. And with the 704 MSport suspension ( which was only available on the RWD F3X) it transforms the car.

Unlike mods added after the car left the VPC everything on this car was added at the factory or VPC and is covered by the full 4 year BMW warranty. Frankly we were shocked by how much better ours was than our 3 prior F3X cars.

And from a leasing perspective, the VPC installed parts are fully resodualizable. The OP has benefited from that with lower payments over the term of his lease.

3 Likes