Buying a used car from a dealer in a distant city, same state - how to go about it?

Car is BMW still under warranty, from a BMW dealer in socal. I’m in norcal. The car has an option I want that is somewhat rare, that’s why I’m looking so far afield. I’ve driven the car and know what this color combo looks like.

I could get down there this weekend if I hustle. Should I call and put a deposit down over the phone, or just go down there hoping it doesn’t get sold? The only reason I wouldn’t just buy it over the phone is I’d like to make sure there’s nothing cosmetically ugly (or stinky!) about the car.

How long would I have to wait before I could drive it back?

Leave a deposit, pay for a PPI, then bring funds and drive away same day

2 Likes

Thanks. At what point does the negotiation happen?

If you put a deposit over the phone, then negotiation is over. (Usually)

2 Likes

Are you coming down just to test drive and inspect the car, or will you actually drive it away, if you’re satisfied. If it’s the latter, I assume the negotiation should’ve already happened.

So you found this one car, with the exact options and colors you want and your idea is to nickel and dime it?

Sure do it. I will give you an insider secret, when the customer calls or emails from hundreds of miles away, the dealership is LESS likely to discount the specific vehicle because if the customer had a better deal closer to them, they would have already taken it.

From the dealer perspective selling outside of PMA:

1. Slim chance of repeat business
  2. No chance of service retention
  3. Slim chance of referral business.
1 Like

So it sounds like I should negotiate on the phone, put deposit contingent on PPI and then fly/purchase/drive.

1 Like

I see your point. The price is acceptable. Can I make my deposit contingent on satisfactory PPI?

What does that stand for?

Of course! Any reasonable store should do that

Primary market area

Id take it a step further and assume if they wont allow this, they know it wont pass a ppi

1 Like

Maybe a silly question, but, if OP is coming from out of the area, would they pay the dealer to do the PPI?

There’s no objectivity when the seller is performing the PPI.

You want someone with no vested interest in the sale.

Do you know anyone more local who can give you the cosmetic report? Before investing in a flight and PPI

3rd party ppi like lemon squad

1 Like

When I sold my 360 spider I paid for a PPI and made it part of the listing. Of the 4 buyers who reached out, all of them liked that.

small sample size

1 Like