Buying a leased BMW

My dealer dropped the ball, I started messaging him last Jan/Feb to get something built and on the lot early (by weeks), I essentially wanted the last of the 2020’s, he f’d up the dates and I missed ordering before end of production and he left me with the COVID 2021 mess I’m in now.

Essentiall, after missing the 2020 order window, The WELT was closed down for retooling, then for COVID just as I wanted to order, so I extended my lease. I then suddenly wasn’t able to get the normal 10% off in SoCal (due to the limited inventory due to factory closure), so it was 2-5% off at best, there’s also low/no rebates and they cancelled the UDE, so no OL codes either, so for essentially the same ~$70k, $6-700/m car I currently have, it was going to cost $8-900, $200 more for the same car, oh, and limited choice of colors/options as coming from Mexico. I was aiming to get an Urban Green m340 w 20’s ~$80k, for $8-900, not a ‘worse’ car than prior, for more.

I know that’s m3 territory moneywise, but the front is ‘wak’, my wife doesn’t drive manual and I’ve honestly loved the 335, 340, 340 I’ve had for the last 9 years…

whoops, misread your question, re the Tesla build, it doesn’t quite work like that, you dont put your order in and then the machines in the factory whirr into action to build it. They seem to project future orders from past and are focussing on churning out all of the standard edition cars instead of performance.

If you can find me a Model 3, midnight silver (grey) on 20" ubersonic wheels, I’ll PayPal you $50 :rofl:

this is the site I used for the last month and nada.

With all the reported quality issues Tesla has been experiencing lately, I wouldn’t get one if I were in your shoes.

Good luck and hope things work out for you.

1 Like

yeah, I’ve factored that into my decision making, will do a decent tire kick before signing…

(even last year before the rush, their panel gap etc was awful, I’m not buying, so not too worried, just want a cheap car to get me through the next 1-2 years of this pandemic, then get a real car after)

That’s over $700/mo before interest and tax at a 60 term, then you have 7 or 8 year old BMW? Just turn it in and lease another one or some other car, or buy the Tesla, which will also be a sky high payment. It doesn’t make any sense to buy a bmw at the end of the lease, their residuals are inflated.

1 Like