Buying a car will never be the same

So you wanted your parents, who had confirmed coronavirus cases, to fly on a commercial airline with others instead of driving in isolation at little to no risk to others? Let me know if I misinterpreted what you said but that’s what it sounds like.

Or he meant they had corona, then tested negative and then wanted to travel. Do you think he wanted them to visit their grandson while fighting corona?

2 Likes

It sure sounded to me like his parents previously had covid and no longer have it, much like a large portion of the country.

3 Likes

For me, the answer depends on distance travelled. I personally would not be traveling any place that’s more than 1-2 hrs away by car. I would be willing to take a longer road trip, but then taking bathroom breaks may become an issue (Seriously. I went one county over 1-2 mos ago, and it was difficult to find a public restroom that was open).

The thing is that, if the cleaning crew does a good job, I imagine you’d probably be okay. Especially if the place isn’t busy (i.e., your room has been unoccupied for a few days) and has decent ventilation.

But, on a plane, if someone coughs/sneezes/whatever while you’re sharing the plane w/ them, you might be kind of screwed, no matter how well it was cleaned b/f you got on the plane. And if you’re on the plane for 1+ hrs and have someone who’s asympomatic, well…

1 Like

And you can very easily bring your own spray disinfectant/wipes and wipe down anything when you first go in the room.

In August, I’m doing a cross country drive from CA to FL, and I’ve been stocking up on cleaning supplies specifically for that reason.

3 Likes

Yeah my father tested positive on April 2, 2020 - linked to someone he saw who went to Biogen conference. Tested negative in early May and wouldn’t be coming until end of June.

Even though the tread veered far and wide from the original topic, I have not seen an answer to

“How exactly did they force you come to the dealership?”

What’s was the problem sending this same price sheet around to find a dealership that would sign over mail and have the car delivered?

1 Like

Understood, gotcha man. Glad they’re ok!

I never said they forced me to come in. I said they refused to deliver it. Obviously it was my choice to come in. However if I wanted the deal my only option was to come into the dealership.

a)I wanted some very specific options that where hard to come buy
b)Getting a deal like this in South Florida is extremely hard. I did shop around and the next best offer I got was 8% off.

Wow that was in early Feb wasn’t it?

I assume this was the Palisade and not the BMW?

1 Like

Ok, so that easier to understand - they had leverage over you because you wanted something specific.
But for the Corona LE run of the mill deal I don’t see why anyone would want to go to the store.

1 Like

Actually no, BMW wouldn’t deliver 20 miles to me. I bought the Palisade down in Miami over an hour drive to me and they where happy to deliver it.

1 Like

They may not want to however the dealer still holds the leverage. If you want the car you will go get it.

There was a super spreader at the conference.

My own suspicion is that the virus has been in the US far long than is being acknowledged. A colleague of mine has a child who attends a school w/ numerous children from East Asia. She and her child had a bad flu-like illness in early-ish January, and she was recently tested for antibodies (and was positive). Could she have been asymptomatic and contracted it later than Jan? Possibly. But I would bet $ she had it back in January…

1 Like

It was February 26-28. Of note, by the time he got tested his symptoms had resolved since this was the very early days when despite severe symptoms it took 7 days to get a test in Massachusetts.

Funny you say this, the earliest case in the west coast was moved up to Feb 6th (diagnoses) so it’s not impossible, France has even detected spread in mid December 2019, with a fisherman with no direct connection to Wuhan contracting COVID in Dec. he was tested via two methods and his xrays matched Covid symptoms, and both of his samples tested positive for Covid.

Source:

One dealership doesn’t hold the cards anymore in post COVID world as more people taste and share the freedom of buying the car online.

Someone else will want to deliver. There only few exception prior to COVID.
Now, there would be more willing participants.

I remember Amazon was trying to build something for car shopping online. They will be more than willing to fulfill your order via prime delivery:)

Unless someone wants something custom.

Last I read the R of that one attendee was around 110. Patient 32 in SK who exposed 1500+ is a super spreader imo

Cases going back to January in CA and news today is Missouri.

I was just trying to understand how an exposure from February turned into a case in April but it sounds like it was a few people removed. Glad they both recovered.

I had my antibody testing last week, negative, and sadly the data from the antibody studies so far aren’t touching 3%.

1 Like

When the R0 value is estimated to be 2-3 (as it is for coronavirus, AFAIK), I’ll consider infecting 110 to be a super spreader (but, yes, 1500 is definitely a super spreader of a diff magnitude).

Fascinating. I wonder what the “source” was (community spread vs. direct contact w/ someone from China/Wuhan).

I myself was exposed to a contact who saw me 5 days after they returned from northern Italy in early Feb… On the plane, they had such a bad flu that they were hallucinating. I got sick w/ a relatively mild (but strangely long-lived) flu-like illness exactly 1 wk later. Antibodies for me were negative, though (about which I feel very ambivalent).

At any rate, I know we’re going off topic (although it’s been very nonpolitical and polite!), so…

2 Likes