Buy vs lease vw id 4

Come on now…today’s evs are not the 2015 Leaf. In addition to that you have a 8 year warranty on that battery.

Makes no diff

Vw added in extra unused cells and activates them to make it seem battery degredation doesnt happen. But after those extra cells are activated, degredation begins

The 8yr warranty is timed on purpose, afterwards you will cry at the costs.

I had an egolf and saw this first hand.

Telsa uses so many cells that the degradation is slower but other evs still use the large battery cells that degradate faster

Weird. I’m on my second eGolf and seen no degradation at all after 3 years. Maybe VW doesn’t like you.
Tesla’s batteries are bigger and have all the goodies (liquid cooling, bigger buffer)…what you wanna compare to? Fan cooling and a battery a third the size? Not the case on the new VW evs.

Tesla batteries as a whole are bigger, but they are made up of little batteries.
More like hmm, vws have 12v car batteries staged in a set but a tesla is made up a bunch of 8 cells that look like fat AAs per 12v pack. Much more efficient and less likely for degradation
Besides cooling, more anodes and cathodes means it takes longer to corrupt, i believe thats the term

And of course a tesla has more 12v packs than a vw.

The degradation is there just not fully noticed, vw does a good job of hiding it

Now i had 2016 81m egolf, so its much more noticeable than last years egolfs

Tldr dont buy a VW ev, it just aint worth it, lease that puppy

Thank you Michael and everyone else. If she must have the car I’ll just lease it. This will give me ability to walk away after three years. Will also let me keep savings in place and just buy a car three years down the line if ev continues to take off. I’ll take her to see etron and sq5 and see how those leases are looking. I don’t need to decide to July 2021 and leases will certainly change. Just don’t see id4 changing since that is when the awd pro is slated to be released. Yes I know the lease sucks but when wife lets me buy a 2021 corvette in rapid blue can I really complain?? :smirk:

As for being fast, the awd will have 300 hp. I’d guess 0 to 60 in 6 secs. Although not fast per say, it will be heck a lot better then the Tiguan being offered. I will still try to get her to look at audi as o think with right incentives may make better sense

Hey Lax, why don’t you just lease the new refreshed Tiguan (R Line trim) and slap on an aggressive Stage 1 tune.

She gets to have the updated Tiguan and I’m sure she’ll be satisfied with a Tune. Prolly put out over 300hp and 300lbs tq

VW’s are so easily tuneable

The refresh Tiguan isn’t coming out till late next year. Two I’m alil worried about messing w. a leases car and then dealing w the return. I guess we could buy it and do that stuff. Not sure how she will feel about it. She’s a typical chick and if it’s not from factory it will prob bug her. But certainly another option. What’s a typical cost w that?

Nothing to worry getting a Tune. Almost all VW/Audi enthusiasts report no issues. All done thru OBD port. Prior, they would have to crack the ECU which caused issues.

Cost is usually $600-$800 so factor into lease cost since you would be returning car.

You’ll be grinning ear to ear with a tune.

Instant power and you’ll be wondering how you drove your car without it.

Look into APR. :+1:

1 Like

@TheBigTuna does it void warranty? Seems to be conflicting info

VW doesn’t have “12v car batteries”…they have modules of lithium batteries 15.2v. Tesla may have its small component as a 21700 cell but they too are grouped in modules of 21.6v. There is an other way of doing things…the pouch battery and they too are grouped on modules…for simple reasons…one goes out you replace it and not the entire battery.
The main reasons for degradation seems to be heat, charge % and chemistry…studies are still ongoing. The new batteries will mostly have to deal with heat (especially during fast charging) since bigger batteries can afford to limit the charge % to a lower number…say 85% and still have enough range.
On the eGolf…the reason i get almost 0 battery degradation is because (involuntarily) my battery is always around 50% charge and i never fast charge.
Michael will be ok with the new ID4…if it wasn’t so damn expensive I would be interested too.

That’s why you put it back to standard when you bring it in.

At the point where I have every retirement account maxed out and paying down mortgage by time I’m 43. So if the wife wants a 600 payment on a car then whatever. I’m more shaking out about owning the ev resale wise and ponying up 53k in cash when I can keep in bank and just pay 24k over 3 years to lease and not deal w the doubts

It doesn’t void your warranty. It only voids the ECU as that’s what you tuned. They rarely fail now cause tunes are now done via the OBD port. They used to previously have to get to the ECU and literally crack it open to program it. Moisture would eventually get in and cause it to have issues. This is really not an issue anymore.

Go on VW Vortex and ask those guys over there for more info. They’re knowledgeable and helpful.

FYI, I never even returned my Passat back to stock when the lease ended . Simply grounded it. They’ll run it thru service anyway clearing the tune. Only the dealer will know if it’s tuned. Most VW dealers are even tune friendly and even do it for their customers.

It would void the warranty on all affected parts. In this case they would be the engine, transmission, axles etc.

To be pedantic, it wouldn’t void the warranty on anything, however, it would give a basis for them to deny a claim if they could demonstrate a part failed because of the tune. It’s not a blanket void of the entire drive line.

1 Like

Wow did this thread Derail.

Can’t tune an Electric (Or I have not heard of anyone doing it safely)
And as I said earlier, don’t buy an VW EV, lease it.

Other than a Tesla, I’m not sure if there is a EV to buy.

1 Like

Yes, you worded it better. If any of those parts break they will use the tune as an excuse.

Forbs I will be taking your advice. Prob lose a few grand in long run vs buying and selling but I’m not willing to take risk w first year and an ev by vw. I will lease at the premium if this is the must have car. Thank you for all on guidance. I believe this is one circumstance where I’ll forgo perhaps the better financial move

1 Like

e-Golf, like Nissan LEAF, doesn’t have liquid cooling for the batteries, so it’s prone to quicker degradation, particularly in warm climates.

Liquid cooled packs that most other manufacturers use, including VW now, tend to see very minimal pack degradation.