Break out incentives on calculator

You could have 2 calculators.

You just described probably 95%+ of the calculators that are posted on this site and 100% of the calculators posted by brokers. Which is where my idea stems from.

So even if your suggestion was implemented, the same issues would still be present as no one is forced to use it correctly.

2 Likes

That’s a good point. You’d almost have to make the sales price a function of the input instead of an input itself. However, the point of me posing the thought was that if dealer discount/lease cash/etc were visually separated, perhaps it would change behaviors?

1 Like

Yeah, let’s add more to the calculator people can’t use correctly in the first place. Then get super offended and start calling people names. :thinking:

2 Likes

I suspect it wouldn’t. You’re still reliant on people having to digest the numbers to input them.

For example, we get a lot of people that post Volvo deals on here, claiming 15%+ pre-incentive discounts with only some of the incentives broken out, as the lease cash isn’t spelled out by the dealer, absolutely adamant that they’ve got the incentives right. Having a line item for “lease cash” in the calculator wouldn’t change a thing here, as they never take the time to gather the incentive data, as they don’t even know it exists. If they can’t be bothered to spend a few minutes researching/gathering the pertinent data (this would be easily solved by just asking Edmunds for RV/MF/incentives in this case), having a spot on the calculator to put it broken out does no good.

I dont disagree that having the ability to separate out incentives in the calculator could make it easier to make a “deal sheet” for communicating a deal all in one place for “power users”, but I don’t see it being the solution to the problem that most people here seem to want it to be the solution to.

5 Likes

Well said. When you put it in that context, tends to make more sense to leave as is. You are definitely closer to the deal evaluation and would have a better gauge as to how folks use the calc. Thanks for the well thought out response!

I think this is right. Most dealers bundle up the “total discount” hoping that the unassuming buyer thinks they’re getting a great pre-incentive discount, when in fact they’re just getting all the incentives balled up with a meager discount. Then those same buyers come here not knowing the incentives and are helpless on the calculator.

Perhaps a simple prompt on the calculator (either selling price line or rebate line) saying “remember to ask your dealer what incentives are included in the discount line”?

Most dealers won’t disclose the direct to dealer incentives anyway if you ask. Up to you to do the homework ahead of time.

Frankly, if someone is getting a dealer offer on a vehicle without already knowing what the incentives are first, they’re doing it wrong anyway.

1 Like

People should know how to calc a lease from educating themselves before jumping into leasing, not by using a calculator. This is the equivalent of electronic spoon feeding, which teaches nothing