Bowers and Wilkins Underwhelming?

I’ve tried multiple settings my S60, changed equalizer levels but unless it’s over 2/3 volume, pretty disappointing. The system is clear at those levels but even the bass lacks a gut punch that I’ve heard in other cars. Normally in a very high end stereo like this, it sounds rich even at low volume. Would like input from others with this same system.

I suspect you may have a weird setting or something turned on. The B&W systems I have heard in the Volvos (admittedly not in an s60) have been fantastic

I’m wondering the same and have checked swedespeed where people have pictures of their settings. Nothing of help though.

What does this mean?

SPLIT THIS TOPIC 6 MINS AGO

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 1 hour unless flagged)

Make sure to use HD/FLAC music source. Makes a big difference even in harman kardon

1 Like

Aware of HD but what’s FLAC?

FLAC is a method of digital music encoding that is lossless, unlike MP3 which removes some of the data to compress the file size further.

In the rush of the loudness wars, I’ve noticed that badly mixed music will make great systems sound bad at the low end. I don’t find it underwhelming, but rather a testament to how good the system is when you are able to crank it and it doesn’t feel “loud”.

There was a spam post that got split out of the thread.

1 Like

Does anyone have any say on the BMW BW system ?

Read a lot of complaints from M5 owners.

1 Like

Not worth it unless you plan on using FLAC or high bite rate music streaming (Master/Hi-Fi from Tidal). Also important to have the device plugged in via USB and not streaming via Bluetooth or Wifi. Anything else such as XM radio or iTunes, you are better off with the Harmon Kardon system.

1 Like

I thought my HK system was already amazing enough. Was always curious what a $4k Diamond something system actually do lol. Thanks for the feedback.

HK is good system and BW takes it to the next level but it is really only worth spending $4k on a car sound system if you are an audiophile who can appreciate the small differences and have the tools necessary to do so. Otherwise, the average person would have a hard time telling any differences worth $4k between HK and BW if you listened to iTunes music via Bluetooth.

4 Likes

I guess I fall right in there. Thought the extra wattage had something to do with louder but still clean quality but for $4k more … seems ok to pass.

I get what you’re saying about clarity. And it’s wonderfully clear on HD radio. It’s the lack of oomph that seems to be absent.

Load FLAC music on your phone and play through USB. Then you can make informed decision about B&W. I’m happy with HK since I do streaming and extra $3,200 doesn’t make sense to me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Have you heard the standard sound system in the BMWs? I have it in the 330i and it is god awful, coming from a 428i with the HK system.

IMO it is a good base system but if you had the HK or any other premium sound system before, it will sound like crap. I have the B&O sound system in my Audi now and even though the HK is a good system, I will miss the B&O when I turn in my Audi lease for a BMW.

When I worked for Audi, almost everyone upgraded to the B&O sound system sine the base system was probably copied from a Jetta but at BMW, not as many people upgrade. Could be the clients are a little older, but a lot of them are happy with the base BMW system.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d be pissed about this if I didn’t get a good deal. But I have that fancy speaker on the dash… Not sure if FLAC will be any better than HD and the issue isn’t the clarity, it’s the richness at low levels that you hear in high level systems. Will try it out though when I get around to it.

The base system on my sisters 330e is pretty good. However the base system on my 19 530i is like a decade old Hyundai system. I dont get the idea of a shitty system on an almost 60k car. :man_facepalming: