BMWFS Lease Assumption Process and Timeline

Does anyone know how long California is taking with titles? They requested mine on 1/5 and originally told me it would be 7 to 10 days. Now BMW FS is saying it could take up to 30.

1 Like

The shorter time frames are amazing. IIRC in October it was more like 2-3 months.

1 Like

In my past experience it can take up to 2-3 weeks for them to receive the CA title, especially now with USPS taking so long. Unfortunately the CA DMV doesn’t use any other mailing service but USPS. If I had to bet, I’d say they’ll get the title this week.

1 Like

Does a car get taxed again within the same state?

Example I have a car with 300 all inclusive monthly lease that includes NY taxes.

If the person who takes over lease is from NY. Will they continue paying 300? Or will they pay 300 (note: includes tax) plus ny tax on the 300 payment which already included taxes ?

Another data point. My father transferred his i3 to another CA resident:

Stage 1: Credit App
December 18, 2020

Stage 2: Transfer Docs (received and mailed out)
December 21, 2020

Stage 3: Assumption Complete
January 8, 2021

They were warning 6 to 8 weeks, but it seems CA DMV was surprisingly speedy.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Please keep all your “wanted” ads here - Part 2

I’d like to know this as well !

Answer is yes for NY

Just completed the process on my M340ix - IL to IL transfer. Processing dates below:

1/25 - Contacted BMW to start the process
1/26 - Transferee completed the application
1/27 - PHASE 2 paperwork submitted - Transferor
1/28 - PHASE 2 paperwork submitted - Transferee
2/2 - PHASE 2 paperwork confirmed received from both parties
2/8 - PHASE 2 complete
2/10 - PHASE 3 complete

It was a total of 15 days start to finish. Far faster than my most optimistic expectations.

3 Likes

That’s criminal!!!

Hi all, for those that did a lease assumption within CA (CA to CA), what additional fees are due other than the $500 BMWFS fee?

The car I’m looking at has tags expiring in June so I understand I’ll need to pay that, but are there taxes when assuming a lease when CA taxes were paid at lease signing?

Thank you.

CA taxes the monthly payment and it isn’t due or collected at signing.

2 Likes

CA to FL Transfer

2/9 - Contacted BMW to start the process
2/9 - Transferee completed the application - and was instantly approved
2/10 - PHASE 2 paperwork submitted - Transferor
2/11 - PHASE 2 paperwork submitted - Transferee
2/16 - PHASE 2 Transferee paperwork rework
2/25 - PHASE 2 paperwork confirmed received from both parties (inc. title from DMV)
2/25 - PHASE 2 complete
3/1 - PHASE 3 complete

CA to CA Transfer (I am assuming the lease on an X2).

Currently at stage 2:

Stage 1
2/15 - Contacted BMW to start the process
2/15 - Completed application - instantly approved

Stage 2
2/16 - Transferee paperwork submitted
2/17 - Transferor paperwork submitted
2/24 - Transferee paperwork received (USPS delays)
2/25 - Transferor paperwork received (USPS delays)
3/2 - Received email confirming receipt with notice that “an error or a piece of information is missing.” Called BMW and they confirmed what’s missing is the CA Title. They submitted a request on 2/16.
3/10 - Stage 2 completed

Stage 3
3/10 - Stage 3 complete! Final registration documents sent via Fedex

They are required to quote this. I have done many transfers for CA registered cars and the average time has been about two weeks to receive the paper title from the CA DMV. Longest it took was three weeks and that was during the height of the pandemic. Shortest it has taken is 10 days. Unfortunately they use USPS to mail the title to BMW FS (CA to OH), which sometimes delays things depending on how backed up USPS is.

Based on your timeline, given they order the paper title after credit approval (in your case, 2/16), I’d say they should receive the paper title by this Friday. Of course, that’s just a guesstimate based on my prior transfers. Let us know how it goes!

This is probably the most annoying quirk in their system. Rather than generate an email that simply says “both sets of paperwork are accurate and complete, we are just waiting for the CA title to arrive,” their email makes it sound like the Stage 2 docs you sent in have something wrong with them. I’ve complained about this numerous times and they just don’t fix it. Always good to call and confirm, which you did!

Thanks for providing some additional context on the title transfer, I wasn’t aware they start that process after credit approval. I’m currently in the process of assuming a lease (CA to CA) and sitting at Stage 2 “docs have been received”.

1 Like

Thanks for the insight! I experienced the USPS delays first-hand when sending my Stage 2 docs, so hoping the title isn’t affected too much by that.

Looks like we’re both CA to CA and in Stage 2. Keep me updated how yours progresses.

@chkw13 I am in the same situation as you. Currently waiting for the CA DMV and it has been painful waiting. Here is my current timeline:

Stage 1
2/8- Contacted BMW to start the process
2/8- Completed Credit Application–approved

Stage 2
2/9 - Paperwork Submitted (sent 2 day UPS- delayed due to weather)
2/15- Transferee and Transfer Paperwork received
2/16- Issue with the Date signed from Transferor
2/16- Transferor resubmitted (sent over night UPS)
2/22- Confirmation of all paperwork complete. Notification of paper title requested. Email indicated it was requested 2/9.
3/1- Called to get an update and they are unable to track DMV processing. Asked the agent to provide an idea of what process times they’ve been seeing from the CA DMV and it is averaging 21-28 business days. :frowning: I will update when my process closes out. Hoping it is soon!