BMWFS Lease Assumption Process and Timeline

Just updated my post, this seems really fast but just got the “Assumption Complete” email from BMW FS, process took 2.5 weeks.

1 Like

For everyone who is transferring from out of state to NY how long did registration take if you submitted online? When did you get the temp registration?

Just updated my post - transfer finished in only 11 days! That’s a new record for me personally, especially during Covid times. I did a transfer around Sept/Oct which took 8 weeks. This made up for it.

3 Likes

My timeline thus far and will edit as we go along. I am the transferor and live in FL (a paper title state so they do have to create a paper title from the current electronic one to sign it over).

Stage 1: Credit App
Applied 1/4, immediate approval.

Stage 2: Transfer Docs
Email w/ Stage 2 docs: Received 1/5
Transferee Docs: received 1/7
Transferor Docs: sent 1/7, received 1/13
Completed Stage 2 Email: 1/16.

Stage 3
Completed w/ email/mail notification: 1/18/2021
@marcykdrew picked him up today :partying_face: :sob:

HOLY $#&* 14 days!! Go BMW go!

1 Like

Unbelievable. Must be a trend then. I’m hearing more and more of this after the New Year. They must’ve added more staff or something. Congrats on finishing the transfer!

1 Like

Hi,
Just wanted to share my recent timeline for my lease transfer as a transferor.

From NJ to FL

Applied 1/13, immediate approval.

Stage 2: Transfer Docs
Email w/ Stage 2 docs: Received 1/13
Transferee Docs: received 1/15
Transferor Docs: sent 1/14, received 1/16
Completed Stage 2 Email: 01/18

Stage 3
Completed w/ email/mail notification: 1/19/21

5 Likes

I talked to BMW FS this morning and they advised they are now quoting 2-3 business days for Stage 2 completion (previously 10-12 business days) and 3-5 business days for Stage 3 completion (previously 14-16 business days). I asked if something has happened that the processing times are so much shorter now. They said the number of new assumptions has dropped dramatically, which is why they’ve been able to catch up and process things much quicker.

4 Likes

That’s good news, looks like a good time to ditch that under mile lease that’s been sitting around

2 Likes

Does anyone know how long California is taking with titles? They requested mine on 1/5 and originally told me it would be 7 to 10 days. Now BMW FS is saying it could take up to 30.

1 Like

The shorter time frames are amazing. IIRC in October it was more like 2-3 months.

1 Like

In my past experience it can take up to 2-3 weeks for them to receive the CA title, especially now with USPS taking so long. Unfortunately the CA DMV doesn’t use any other mailing service but USPS. If I had to bet, I’d say they’ll get the title this week.

1 Like

Does a car get taxed again within the same state?

Example I have a car with 300 all inclusive monthly lease that includes NY taxes.

If the person who takes over lease is from NY. Will they continue paying 300? Or will they pay 300 (note: includes tax) plus ny tax on the 300 payment which already included taxes ?

Another data point. My father transferred his i3 to another CA resident:

December 18, 2020

Stage 2: Transfer Docs (received and mailed out)
December 21, 2020

Stage 3: Assumption Complete
January 8, 2021

They were warning 6 to 8 weeks, but it seems CA DMV was surprisingly speedy.

4 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Please keep all your “wanted” ads here - Part 2

I’d like to know this as well !

Answer is yes for NY

Just completed the process on my M340ix - IL to IL transfer. Processing dates below:

1/25 - Contacted BMW to start the process
1/26 - Transferee completed the application
1/27 - PHASE 2 paperwork submitted - Transferor
1/28 - PHASE 2 paperwork submitted - Transferee
2/2 - PHASE 2 paperwork confirmed received from both parties
2/8 - PHASE 2 complete
2/10 - PHASE 3 complete

It was a total of 15 days start to finish. Far faster than my most optimistic expectations.

3 Likes

That’s criminal!!!

Hi all, for those that did a lease assumption within CA (CA to CA), what additional fees are due other than the $500 BMWFS fee?

The car I’m looking at has tags expiring in June so I understand I’ll need to pay that, but are there taxes when assuming a lease when CA taxes were paid at lease signing?

Thank you.

CA taxes the monthly payment and it isn’t due or collected at signing.

2 Likes