BMW Z4- CPO ultimate care plus worth it? or how to cancel it? - California resident

N00b CA resident here. Much to my regret, I was charged ~$2000 for ultimate care extension of a CPO 2020 BMW Z4 with ~28,000 miles. The coverage ends on June 2025 or 75,000 miles. (lessons learned… don’t be in such a hurry to pick up when you are tired for the day…)

I was pitched as Z4 is high on maintenance cost starting year 4 and this ultimate care plus will take care of most of replacement parts (break pads etc) beyond maintenance… because regular maintenance cost for a Z4 starting year 4 can easily go > 1500.

Now doing more research on the forum, it looks like basically no one recommend any pre-paid maintenance… Also I found that for the CPO I got, the left rear brake pad was already replaced as part of the CPO check list before it was sold to me…

So my first question is, is it still worth it?

If not, as California resident, do I still have the freedom to cancel it after I singed all the terms? how easy will it be? do I have to go the the dealer or I can request anything online?

Appreciate if I can get any suggestion on this. Thanks!

Verify this.

I just had my 2019 750i serviced at the dealer and it was ~$430. I’d have to look but iirc 1/3 of that was a filter. :grinning:

Of course not every service interval requires the same services, so I anticipate some will cost more.

Also consider having a good independent mechanic do your service. I haven’t found one here yet… but I really like this dealer, so I haven’t looked very hard.

1 Like

wow thanks for the info on the service cost… that’s way lower than I expected cause I was expecting a huge cost on labor…and i assume 750i should be higher cost than a z4 comparing MSRP value…

but yeah same, i don’t think I am an expert on finding independent mechanic and will still going to dealer for maintenance, but sounds like the price I got is still wayyyyy too high…

Here’s the breakdown fwiw. This is obviously going to vary from model to model, and service to service. Labor rate in CA is probably going to be a bit higher also (this is in Ohio).

Note that they caught a $70.03 error on this invoice after I left, and sent me a check. I had no idea until the check arrived unexpectedly in the mail.

So net was $432.51

If you’re in San Diego I can recommend a shop.

Price brakes also before you make a decision.

I also recently had the rear pads and rotors done on my M550 in another city, and it was ~$1,200 at an independent mechanic that specializes in MB/BMW, using OEM parts.

I bought this car CPO with 20,000 miles, and I don’t think the pads were new when I got it. At the time of replacement the car had ~30k on the odo. As a frame of reference, I drive like an a55hole, so that factored into the lifespan.