BMW XM Concept … woof

Because to maximize range they have to maximize aerodynamic efficiency.

1 Like

Improved aerodynamic efficiency doesn’t have to mean ugly though.

7 Likes

I thought it was a Lexus at first.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder… and buyers seeking efficiency seem to accept that that can mean unconventional designs. Look at every Prius ever made for example

I’m so traumatized a Prius is starting to look good now.

Don’t buy in a bad HOA. Was a new construction at the time.

Amen to this. Didn’t know it applied to a townhouse / single family development. My apt HOA left much to be desired.

1 Like

Not gonna lie. I’d still rock a Gen1 Prius as a beater if I could find one in good shape with low miles.

Fun car and you could really throw it around once you got used to it’s handling mannerisms…

1 Like

My house in Columbus had an HOA: never again.

Here is my “most satisfied with the HOA” story — I wanted to replace the faded/warped shutters on my SFH with new ones that were an HOA approved color and a standard design (what I had, but new and black). I had to file 2 forms, one that required a front elevation from my architect, $75, and 60 days later they said “yes you may”.

1 Like

Yeah, screw that.

1 Like

Are you guys for real?

I’ll never NOT have an HOA, unless end up somewhere on several acres of wooded property.

Neighbors suck.

2 Likes

Exactly the reasons to not have an HOA. You think I want a bunch of no-life having busybodies (who may or may not live on property) telling me what I can and can’t do with my property? Pass.

2 Likes

Desirable, older neighborhood without HOA (self-enforcement) > newer house with HOA

I understand wanting to prevent your neighbor from fixing 10 cars on the front lawn, but the solution is not neighbors who measure your grass with the power to ticket you.

3 Likes

Precisely. That’s actually our neighborhood now to it’s own detriment and our $11,200 property tax bill (up from $9,400 last year) as a result.

1 Like

I’m a week away from 17 years at our place in CA, and I’ve had zero issues with the HOA.

Last time I needed something they made the scumbag renter across the street put up actual window coverings instead of affixing black poster board to the windows with blue masking tape.

And this is not an undesirable neighborhood.

I love our HOA in OH; we’ve been there since 2014. For an extra $10 a year they clear the driveway and sidewalk every time it snows.

You should play the lottery if you’re that lucky. Unfortunately you can’t really interview the HOA when trying to buy a house, especially in this market.

House hunting was a nightmare in Columbus because I needed to put up a fence for my (then plural) dogs, one who was part :rabbit:, in accordance with the country ordinances (six foot privacy, wood, very nice, nothing crazy). Every single house I looked at, we had to pull the deed restrictions and try and get the HOA bylaws (sometimes it was in one or other) to discover either 1) no fences allowed unless you have a pool, if pools were allowed, or 2) only ornamental (eg picket) 3’ or smaller.

I’m done complaining about Ohio for today - the guy I worked for there called again this morning asking if I’d come back :rofl:

As someone who currently lives in a historically protected neighborhood in Columbus, it comes with its benefits and pains. Our neighborhood is beautiful, but need to replace some windows on your house? Only period correct custom wood ones that costs thousands each will suffice!

2 Likes

I’m in the same boat. The police can only do so much to “police your neighbor” - The HOA on the other hand can make a nuisance neighbor’s life a living hell.

I also appreciate property standards and don’t need to see personal junkyards that people build in their front/back yards. And just to keep my comment on thread. I would hope my HOA would fine someone for having a car as ugly as this XM Concept :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s all subjective, but the Tesla S somehow made it work (and I am not a Tesla fanboi by any stretch; I think that most of their other cars – Model Y aside – are atrocious).

I have not seen the EQS in person, but the new S-Class doesn’t look that diff in real life than it does in pics. So I assume the EQS will be ungainly. I actually don’t know if it’s also just from aerodynamics (MB consistently does a fantastic job of managing aerodynamics, and none of their other car are as heinous) or more from packaging issues (w/ the batteries resulting MB having to raise the roof, literally, to get it to be spacious). The cut line of the hood is also unacceptably bad (which is unexcusable since there is no frunk, so it’s not like they made the cut line to ease client’s use), and reviewers have also commented on the high cowl (particularly of the dash).

The general shape of the more recent Priuses have been acceptable (garish detailing aside) b/c there was a clear function-dictating-form design brief. The EQS looks surprisingly amateurish for the world’s oldest automaker.

I will also say that MB’s first attempts at anything generally tend to suck.

But back on topic…

Not big enough. Tent needs to cover the whole car, except the windshield and windows.

Bag of shame approach? A face and rear end only Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaftt could love.

More like we need to protect young children and such!

I mean, maybe it’ll look better in person, but I honestly think it looks like a Subaru concept on steroids. And that’d be cool from Subaru. But not so much from BMW…