BMW x3 m40 Lease Check (new order)

placing an order for this tomorrow, going for final validation here.

main numbers:

• $66k sticker
  • 10.2% off before incentives
  • 17.4% off after incentives
  • ~$620 monthly
  • ~3975 drive away (no msd)

(numbers slightly off from calc since i’m having them do the money down as cap cost reduction instead of tax and rolling tax so in the event of a total or stolen, tax not lost. $5 insurance policy lol)

Main questions:

• how’s 10.2% off MSRP feel on an order for this time of year? I’m seeing 12% in broker charts on cars that are 5k less and seemingly in stock, salesman is a good guy. started negotiations at what i was showing him as broker numbers, finance manager stopped him saying they were losing money. especially since it’s not something that’s sitting around that they’re trying to get rid of.
  • dealer saying they can’t combine PenFed discount with my loyalty and such. they’re saying it’s classified as a G code and they’re showing charts that say G codes and loyalty can’t be combined. anyone have any strong information or approach to refute that?
  • not too optimistic on this one: located in NY, registered for CA drive event for chinese new year or whatever it was, got an OL code. no chance of that working for me right? got it last night, salesman back in tomorrow so haven’t tried too hard yet but he’s not optimistic. (my first OL code so not too informed about that process.)

i know i can probably do a little bit better with some of the deals i’m seeing fly by on here, but my lease is up mid april and thinking an order of exactly what i want and having it time out with my lease being up isn’t a bad approach for a little more money.

thanks all

Any money you use as a cap cost reduction will be lost anyway, though. BMW is not a brand where you’d have equity and cash out, but you really can’t plan for that in the event of an accident or other loss in general, with any car.

10.2% off for a custom order is strong, especially in January. Most deals would be at or around invoice. Volume bonuses are also less this month, so dealers are cutting worse deals because there’s no incentive to go rock bottom.

Also, I can confirm that G codes are not combinable with loyalty…or anything else, really.

The OL code working can go either way. Sometimes out-of-region ones work, sometimes they don’t.

1 Like

What do you mean by not losing tax by making a down payment instead of rolling in your taxes? If you total your car 5 mins after rolling out the lot, you loose that das amount whatever that might be (over 3k) in your case. If you do 1st month as your das, your monthly with go up but you will not be loosing any money that you put down

regarding the taxes angle, i don’t have a strong opinion on all of that but work with someone that leases a lot and was pushing me that way.

the way he’s putting it is that if on paper my taxes are not fully paid and they’re coming out of the monthly, in the event of a total loss there’s less to fight about as they’re not reimbursing the tax, but only talking about the value of the car itself. i don’t have hard data about the whole thing but the way he puts it (which i’m sure i’m not communicating well) it sounds valid as hell. looking at it as not a big deal and worth $5 in case he’s right?

great point about the 0 down. maybe i should do that instead if dealer cool with it.

my math on the whole thing:

You seem to be missing some fees in your calculations. Dealer doc? Title and registration?

probably. been using this excel calculator for 8 years, just had to extend it for the concept of a taxed incentive lol. will have to add in the doc side but i think i’m only off by like the $80 doc, have a screenshot from the dealer that is pretty aligned with what i’ve got here.

Nice color combo.

1 Like

You’re completely wrong on how the tax is calculated. Search for my post on how to calculate tax on NY leases.

As I’m sure you’re aware, you talk about tax a lot lol. Can you point to it?

I am a tax attorney, and that is well-known here. I’m sorry, but I don’t have the time to go fishing for it. All you have to do is search and you can find it. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people that don’t want to do the work here, so most people will just tell you to search anyway (I’m not trying to be rude, but please just find it).

No problem. Stuck on mobile at the moment. Will look when I’m back to a computer as I’ll likely be more successful then. I did initially search for it, that’s what I meant about you talking about tax a lot lol.

Your aware that your monthly figures aren’t gonna be finally determined until the car actually comes in right?

On Factory Order cars you have to abide by the lease program of when the car actually comes in.
For example if you order the car in January and it comes in April than structure will be based off the April numbers.

The dealer can compensate to keep them close to what he told you prior but realistically speaking the residual/ money factor and incentives all have the potential to change.

This is good information. I’m on the same boat as the OP so maybe it’d be good to lock those in at the time of placing the order, if possible. Get something in writing or something.

Not true. If you submit a credit application, the programs are locked in (I don’t recall if it is 60 or 90 days). The only incentives not lockable with BMW are cash rebates. Also X3s are built fast, so it would be at the dealer 3-5 weeks after the order is placed.

2 Likes

Is it just BMW that handles factory orders like that?
How does the residual and money factor stay locked in?

Factory Ordering a car usually requires a credit application to be submitted regardless because dealer wants to know an approval can be had before ordering a car I’d imagine ,unless your a repeat client.

Have done multiple factory orders for other brands (not BMW) in the past and as far as leasing, numbers specifically needed to be calculated for the month that the car came in…

i know my salesman is getting credit when the car comes in, not this month. i asked.
just got off the phone with him, starting the process now. he said that programs are locked in from the point of placing the order until 2 months after program end. he said if something better comes in before car comes in, we can switch to that. i’m guaranteed at least what i have now, maybe it’ll get better.

credit app is required to order the car and that lasts 60 or 90 days or whatever. that’s all locked in.

i can certainly see what you’re talking about being a bigger issue if you’re not financing directly with the manufacturer, but since BMWFS owns both sides, they can lock it all in. they clearly can’t lock in things they don’t control like for instance if the tax rate changed and whatnot.