BMW wants to sell car features on demand

Can I pay an extra fee so that the N63 lasts longer than 50,000 miles?

No? Okay, I’ll settle for a solid bumper-to-bumper CPO warranty.

No again? Okay, just let me get into my car before it gets towed to the dealer.

Linus from Linus Tech Tips discussed this on the podcast awhile ago noting that cars will be based on a subscription. You can pay a monthly fee for certain features that can be enabled or disabled as you choose.

1 Like

Tesla turns off the FSD if they buy the car back and sell it used. IMO it’s fine because it’s their own car at that point. As long as the used listing doesn’t have FSD they aren’t harming the second owner.

They do this for an additional revenue stream as well as removing older generation HW from needing an upgrade in the future (at Tesla’s expense).

The one story of it happening to someone was (hopefully) a one off, where Tesla sold the car used at auction to another dealer. The FSD removal happened after the auction instead of before.

I did that on my 18’ Audi S5. I coded the car so it uses the camera in the windshield for lane departure and automatic headlights. I only coded on the lane departure for long trips, but I would have had to pay another $5000+ to have both features (prestige package, driver assist, and a lower residual).

2 Likes