BMW wants to sell car features on demand

How much are blinkers going to cost extra every month? :rofl:

2 Likes

Unlock you car on demand… only available from BMW.

There definitely isn’t another car company that’s already doing this

2 Likes

All for it, I’ll just pay somebody to hack my shit and give me all the features for free, no more luxury seating bs for bmw.

1 Like

Tesla does it already. Here are some of the options shown on my tesla app:

1 Like

Haha that was my point

2 Likes

Won’t need to subscribe to blinkers here in NJ :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Haven’t there been issues on resale of Tesla’s and features being turned off? If that’s the case, and feature subscription becomes mainstream, I think it will ultimately be bad for leasing as residuals will likely tank. BMW has made some pretty questionable design decisions and this would be a big mistake that could put buyers offside; like their CarPlay annual fee nonsense did.

BMW tried this with CarPlay and it didn’t seem to go well. As features like ACC are becoming the new standard (e.g. Toyota and Honda), i don’t think this will last long for them.

myAudi app and Function on Demand

The latest version of the myAudi app offers several key improvements:

• myAudi marketplace experience with the ability to purchase in-car features and new, more flexible subscription plans
  • Simplified registration and payment processes for Audi connect® PRIME and PLUS subscriptions

With Function on Demand , Audi is introducing the ability to purchase vehicle functions through the myAudi marketplace. Initially, Function on Demand will include in-car navigation (2020 and 2021 A4 and A5 Premium or Premium Plus models not factory-equipped). Additional features are expected to be announced at a later date.

Does the typical BMW driver use them anyway?

That being said: I would love to see equipment standardized and sold by software adds. It would make my job easier if every car comes with TACC, Heated Seats/Steering, etc and only requires adding a residualized option when signing the paperwork.

You must have EAP. Wow. They really went up on the price again…

I can see all the manufacturers going in this direction. Having all of the hardware installed in every car for every feature would cost more to the manufacturer, but I think it is possible they would make up for that in cost savings through standardizing the assembly process.

2 Likes

The Tesla model, basically.— At Least for production…

This is partially how they’ve been able to continue reducing the end user price of their vehicles.

1 Like

if it was a monthly subscription I wouldn’t mind, paying $5-10/mo in the winter for heated steering/seats wouldn’t be bad

1 Like

Consider that currently you pay about that much to add it every month

Yes i have EAP. I drove cars with FSD and it is not a perfect system like Tesla claims it to be. I know you get traffic light recognition and city driving soon but I think that after a while Tesla will just say that the hardware in your car is not compatible with future software updates and you will be stuck at that point after paying all that money. The end goal of Tesla is to sell as many cars as they can but if they are constantly updating their existing cars on the road then I do not see anybody buying new.

On another note they charge 8k for new cars to upgrade to FSD. I paid 3k to get EAP so I have to pay the difference of 5k to get to FSD.

better if its 1$/mo lol

When you typed this, did you use the Bimmercode or eSys font? :wink:

1 Like

Speaking of coding. I need some special help if anyone wants to ping me and is good at coding G05.