BMW supply/demand issue with dealers?

Iā€™m honestly genuinely surprised that the main BMW brokers on here are still able to whore out cars the way they do through the BMW stores they have made their connections withā€¦

Maybe the market is just completely different where they get the cars from but for a low volume store to be doing 12% off of MSRP is crazy IMO, especially given the conditions of the market right now.

1 Like

Present yourself as someone who is simply looking for a good deal, dealers will offer you their idea of a ā€œgood dealā€. Present yourself as someone who actually knows what a (realistic) good deal is, willing dealers will respond in kind. Those who are unwilling will not. The only way to accomplish this is by brushing up on the wealth of information offered here

ā€¦Or work with a broker.

1 Like

I think I am giving up. The few conversations with dealers today made me remember why I disdain the car shopping experience.

ā€¦Broker it is.

@Bostoncarconcierge comes well recommended. I have not yet worked with him, but he is a straight shooter and always seems to have some strong BMW deals. He is located on the East Coast, in the Boston area. So if you go with him, you are going to have to ship the car back to Michigan at your own expense. I would suggest reaching out to him. Since end of the month is tomorrow, and usually busy for most dealers/brokers closing out the quarter, be patient if you donā€™t hear back from him right away. He is very responsive, btw.

Take a look at his deals page on the Marketplace and see if he has any X7s in stock.

2 Likes

Thanks to all. Very insight comments on how to push for a great deal. Very helpful in framing possible deal parameters.

I would describe my early ā€œdeal expectations settingā€ experience on lease hackr as such:

A. There is a ton of deals and discussion to explore on a handful of premium brands: BMW, Audi, Volvo, Benz. Pre-incentive discounts seem to be well grounded on these names.

BMW 10-12% pre-incentive at the buy rate and current incentives

Audi 10% pre-incentive at the buy rate and current incentives

Volvo 10-12% pre-incentive plus current direct-to-dealer incentives at the buy rate and current direct-to-consumer incentives

Benz 9-11% pre-incentive at the buy rate and current incentives

B. There are fewer data points and discussion around more mainstream brands/models like Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Acura. When you have so few data points for your market (in my case SoCal, and I know Socal has more info on here short of the tri-state), itā€™s a little tougher to identify a solid aggressive (but attainable) pre-incentive range to deal around.

So this leads to my question. For the average person that turns their attention to a lease negotiation every 3 years whatā€™s the best way to probe an attainable aggressive pre-incentive discount with a dealer when you just donā€™t have a bunch of data points for your make/model in your local market? Said another way, I donā€™t negotiate leases every week and I canā€™t find many deal reference points so how do I avoid the trap of ā€œinvoice less holdback plus another $1,500 behind that?ā€

1 Like

@WildFire24SO - šŸ¦ž BostonCarConcierge June BMW....Updates 6/25: Handful of 3 series and a 5 series @ 17.5%. X2 @ 19.5%

1 Like

Find posts by @HondaSoCal about margins on Honda. The same applies to other non-luxury brands. Subaru only has 2% holdback, for example.

Iā€™d look at as many broker posts as possible and look at deals outside the local market.

This may have to do with your own attitude towards car shopping that dealers. Im not saying they are innocent, but if the market is saying <5% and you come out asking for 15%, you arenā€™t gonna be taken seriously. Heck even under good times, 15% may not be taken seriously because its so unconnected from reality.

I have X7 for 10-11%.

4 Likes

And an M50i at that!

2 Likes

My goal was NOT to net a 15% discount, but more so start at that point in order to get to the expected 11-13% that some brokers here get. I get it now, it was a bad idea. Thatā€™s entirely fine. I most certainly donā€™t feel entitled to get a 15% discount

My annoyance was with the tone of these dealers. I tried both routes. The first with flat out asking for the 15% pre incentive discount and was met with a nasty patronizing attitude. Then after reading this thread I just began to ask for a general discount that dealers can do without giving a specified number like I did previously. Even then, I was told to ā€œshop domestic if you want more than 3% MSRP off because it isnā€™t going to happenā€ or other condescending remarks.

Certainly am not surprised that dealers continue to act like dealers always have.

1 Like

Itā€™s like @wam22 said. Those are the money cars right now to make up for breaking even on the volume cars.

The few I have at 11% wonā€™t last unti supply catches back up.

1 Like

I just donā€™t get this thread, dealers start way above where the market is all the time and often trick consumers into overpaying, but some how everyone here attacked the OP for starting a little below where actual deals have been done on this website and where brokers advertise deals. 2 dealers had low inventory and told him to take a hike, the response should be to use a broker or try other dealers if time and effort permit. Instead the OP is criticized for low balling and insulting dealers.

We are still in covid times and while supply is currently reduced, thereā€™s no reason to assume demand will be roaring back in q3, it could easily look ugly for dealers/manufacturers again.

4 Likes

Dealers can do whatever they want. The goal here is to be the most effective consumer, and going in with a super low ball offer doesnā€™t achieve that. One can feel that youā€™re just playing the same game the dealers are, and thatā€™s fine to feel that way, but it isnā€™t an effective strategy. The OPs strategy is being criticized, not because heā€™s a bad person, but because it isnā€™t an effective strategy. I can see how it could seem to be on the surface level, but one is faced with the reality of the situation.

Right or wrong, deserved or undeserved, going in with an overly aggressive low ball offer is just going to shut the conversation down the vast majority of the time.

3 Likes

yes, take your business elsewhere, maybe leave a bad review for these dealers if youā€™d like. There are several competitive and polite brokers on just this website

1 Like

Iā€™d be careful about that if itā€™s where you plan to serviceā€¦

1 Like

15% is not an overly aggressive low ball initial offer, agree to disagree. Iā€™ve always started negotiating below where I want to end it, it lets you offer some good will and come up to meet in the middle and itā€™s worked, just only on about 25% of places

Sure itā€™s an offer but currently not an offer that will be well received.

Can you substantiate why you believe that several thousand dollars past holdback/bonuses and at a percent thatā€™s essentially unprecedented for that vehicle isnā€™t overly aggressive?

1 Like