BMW of Macon -Dealer switched the papers and forged signature

Gas is not really the topic of conversation or an issue. I was just surprised that the paperwork was switched and signature was faked. Hence, I was forced to bring up every little thing.

3 Likes

You are right, maybe it doesnā€™t say anywhere. I thought it was a question on the survey. I actually suspect, like you, that it is a carrier thing but they still should have been clear. Others have also chimed in with personal experience. If I personally understood that to be the case and it were my car, I would give the dealer a break.

Haha. True.

Agreed.

This is true. I was too harsh. I really laid on the righteous indignation pretty heavily. Lol. Youā€™re alright.

4 Likes

No Iā€™m not saying it is at all, the legal contract, faked signatures, etc is much more important. Iā€™m just saying the empty tank is shipping industry SOP.

3 Likes

Now I understand better with your previous clarification. Not sure what the laws are in FL (or where that dealer is), but in my state I know the dealer would suffer a serious fine, possible dealer license revoked if they are a repeat offender, and the FI manager could face jail. Now Iā€™m not going to condemn anyone guilty over the internet, but please reach out directly to the owner/GM.

2 Likes

By the way, did you take pictures of the contract you did sign? Again above forum grade even by industry people, youā€™re going to need to sort this out with the proper parties and not speculation online.

2 Likes

Actually I have seen it on some window stickers from the manufacturer listing a full tank of gas as a feature. Donā€™t know if BMW lists it

1 Like

Happens a lot more than youā€™d probably expect.

4 Likes

Brutal! 2020

A few of them do but I donā€™t recall BMW listing it in recent years. However I have heard that BMW does reimburse the dealer but that could be completely false.

As a car sales person (and pursuing a law degree), I am used to it. Sometimes I deserve it, but most of the time it is people just displacing their anger on the big, bad dealer.

I would expect this from a chewy/Kia store :wink:. But is is kinda surprising from a BMW dealer who sold a car through a broker. This is a story you hear on the news when the buyer is 80 years old and doesnā€™t understand whatā€™s going on.

3 Likes

Last few stickers Iā€™ve gotten my hands on for ā€˜20 or 21 model year do not.

1 Like

First and foremost demand your broker fee back. You should have proof of the 10 vs 12k miles. Thatā€™s about a $15/mo difference and the broker fee should cover it.

Iā€™ll have to check if we ship cars with a full tank. I know I always fill up before I ship my personal cars on a lease swap. Tundras have a 38gal tank so people love the $100 of free gas we give them.

As far as the paperwork I would confront the dealer first saying you have the originals and see what they offer. If happy with that offer, take it and report them.

I move a lot of cars and we do make mistakes, I refund people all the time, even for minor stuff that doesnā€™t warrant a full refund and typically the buyer is very understanding and still happy with my deals. But this situation is shady on many levels.

This is 100% why I insist on texting to do my deals and not doing them over the phone. I have records of everything and many many people seem to ā€œforgetā€ how many miles the agreed upon price was for.

If the broker fixes everything about the mileage and youā€™re happy with the final outcome you could decide whether it warrants a fee. I would say just the inconvenience of the entire situation does not and if I was the broker you would have the $500 back in your account as soon as you showed me your valid proof.

12 Likes

Iā€™d contact dealership owner/principal first and see if it was just some sort of mistake and they were trying to rectify it without your involvement, but messed up in the process. Shit happens, and as long as they make it right (within reason) no harm no foul. While Iā€™m not condoning forgery, maybe they had good intentions and wanted to get the deal done for you without further inconvenience, but made a big mistake in the numbers the second time and didnā€™t catch it. Maybe the contract was rejected for some clerical error and they redid it, but put down 10k instead of 12 in their haste on the revised one. Who knows.

That said, and while I am not one that runs to a lawyer every time someone farts or looks at me cross eyed in our sue happy world, Iā€™d be getting one ready to go in this case if dealership flinched at all in this situation. If the proof is there on your end, and the case is a classic open-shut as you make it sound with forgery, you can likely even get someone to pick it up contingent so it costs you nothing but your time.

Iā€™m not going to shit on the dealership here since thereā€™s only one side to the story, and thereā€™s always 3 sides to any storyā€¦yours, theirs and the truth usually somewhere in the middle. That said, they should be bending over backwards to make it right.

3 Likes

In my humble opinionā€¦ this is unacceptable at all levelsā€¦ The broker you hired should get all this corrected and make you whole! I would give them 24 hrs max to get it squared out! If not hire an attorney and let them suffer the legal assualtā€¦ they completely deserve it!

@rockymn this one is a hard one for sure. I am not aware of any FL law that can unwind this off the top of my head. It can be the wild wild west out here. As many have mentioned, do you have any documentation of the 12k or the pictures of the original paperwork you have signed? This would help in escalating it with the dealer and management team certainly!

I appreciate the thinking here, and giving the broker the benefit hereā€¦ All deals are set up with 10k, so somewhere in the process it was switched back to 10k accidentally or on purpose by the dealer. Something the broker did not know about! This is why relationships with dealers is so important for us , as brokers, so if something does go wrong, we can depend on that relationships to take care of the issues. New brokers, or new dealer relationships, you do may not have that relationship to fall back on, or realize that the dealer does not have the best interest of clients or brokers at heart. I have stopped doing business with dealers because of thatā€¦

I hope everything gets sorted out!!

3 Likes

If what the OP is saying is true, then this is bad and I would bet that it will work out strongly in your favor with very little of your time and no additional monies/no lawyer.

Skip everyone and take your story straight to the GM of the dealership. Make it known that you are well aware of the errors that occurred and the implications should you decide to take the legal route for forgery.

Then wait to hear back from the GM.

Iā€™d guess you will be getting a much sweeter deal than originally signed.

1 Like

Iā€™d raise hell over a faked sig and make them desperately regret it.

However Iā€™d also be 100%, no doubts whatsoever, completely sure it was faked before going down that road (in case youā€™re not).

5 Likes

Very weirdā€¦

If your actual contract has 12k (with your signature) how did BMWFS get it to show 10K?

Usually it goes by the contract and not other negotiating papers or deal papersā€¦

Hopefully theyā€™ll sort it out

This contract was remotely executed. They Fedexed me a bunch of papers which I signed(Just my signature not theirs) and sent it back.
It was a bunch of printed paper and what they did is switched 2 papers. Not every paper requires signature but the one and the only one that has miles in it was switched(miles changed and number fiddled. They also had to change another paper to match the numbers on first paper which actually had my signature and in this case they forged my signature.

I agree with @Bacons_C.C

This sucks all around. However, youā€™re doing the right thing by letting the broker attempt to resolve it before you need to even contact the dealer.

I assure you that the broker wants to resolve this as much as you do.

Hopefully this situation does a 180 and the broker is able to take care of it on your behalf.

1 Like

Is there any possibility that your contract might have been mixed up with someone elseā€™s that was closing a deal at the dealership?

1 Like