BMW of Macon -Dealer switched the papers and forged signature

The old finance guy is on vacation routine…
I guess he hit his bonus and hopped on spirit air for a nice Cancun romp.

To be fair many people do vacation in January, not sure about Floridians so much, and in the Covid era. But that sounds like BS so that you give them some time to remedy the situation.

Regardless they’re caught so you deserve compensation for the inconvenience. That should come from both the broker and dealer. Sure it’s not the brokers fault 100% but ultimately he steered you to this unscrupulous dealership.

16 Likes

Update - The General Sales Manager called and admitted to wrongdoing. He said

1. the person will no longer work for them
  2. they will void the contract and send me new amended contract and my payment will be $24 lower.

I do not have this in writing though. Do you think this is fair resolution? I was hoping to receive a call from GM though.

8 Likes

$864 over the course of the lease? Not bad for some minor inconvenience.

2 Likes

That’s better than nothing. I personally would have got it in writing and pushed for more. Again, I do not think the broker is at fault here and I would assume they were not aware of this at all. Most brokers on LH are pretty decent humans.

On the plus side, you’ll save some money and you got it resolved without having to pay a dime!

I think it’s a reasonable offer/remedy.

I leased a car through a broker on LH earlier this year. The car was delivered from out of state. Upon delivery I also got an envelope with a work order history, detailing body work to the bumper that had been done, probably from a fender bender.

None of the work was ever disclosed to me during discussions, granted I certainly didn’t do my due diligence and ask for a car fax. The dealer was really cool though, very apologetic and offered to cut me a check to remedy the situation. They essentially took off $35+ bucks per month over the course of the lease. The broker was great too, he helped facilitate the conversation with the dealership and wanted to make it right, even though it didn’t necessarily have anything to do with him.

Again, I certainly should have done my due diligence. But I believe the overwhelming majority of times when there are issues, the dealership wants to make it right.

1 Like

I would ask the GSM to send an email detailing when the revised contract will be sent, with the terms spelled out.

Just my opinion, I would call this a fair resolution and move on. You got the car you want, the dealer made it right, the payment went down (more than covering the empty gas tank, which is standard for shipping).

When your car does arrive and gets a bath, don’t forget to post pictures in

6 Likes

Agreed, I’m not sure why other people here are saying they would push for more… They owned up to it, appear to be doing the right thing, why are we trying to squeeze them for more?

5 Likes

+1 - fair resolution given how quickly it was remedied. Not to mention, someone’s head seems to have rolled for it and that is no joke either.

15 Likes

A little of topic but along the same lines… how do F&I guys get hired? Like what kind of background do they typically have? Do they come up the sales ranks and move to F&I? Or is it based on their sales experience (wherever it may be)?

Just wondering coz it seems F&I has pretty high turnover too.

Thoughts from industry folks?

They are promoted from sales. I’ve never seen anyone hired straight into finance, requires a lot of sales related knowledge and closing skills.

So you got your 12k miles and $864? I’d say you made out good for a minor one day inconvenience. Maybe you can join that finance guy for a week at his permanent vacation residence in Cancun.

All joking aside hate to see people lose their job as he could have a family etc. He def knew better though, but with the way dealers hire people I’m sure he could be employed elsewhere by the end of the week, just leaving his previous position off his resume.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s a fair resolution. Not only are they making the deal right (miles you agreed to) but they are giving you money to make up for it. I personally would not get greedy. Getting it resolved from the GSM is just as good as getting it resolved by the GM. It got handled, which is all that matter.

I would ask them for a tracking number of the paperwork once they send it (should have it today if not by tomorrow). You should be fine I would think.

1 Like

I take it as a whole. First, swapped the car from the agreed upon vehicle. They did not bother to disclose this but remedied it upon notification by providing upgraded wheels. Second, did not send him paperwork with the car. Third, committed fraud. Sure, it was a quick resolution and they owned upto it but that doesn’t make it okay. $900 is a VERY SMALL price to pay for what they did.

6 Likes

Usually the best closers are promoted since it is essentially selling products with very little rapport. It is a high turn over position since the expectations are high (at most dealers, their sales profit is generated by FI products, not actual profit from a car sale) but those that are good typically make a career out of it and make great money for not having to actually prospect customers.

1 Like

So, the actual conversation was GSM was something like this. “We will redo the paperwork and fix it for you. Also, we will still honor the 3500 rebate which you do no qualify for and it will lower your payment by $24”. Well, the Finance guy when he was fiddling with numbers changed the rebates from 2750 to 3500. So, the dealership is not really compensating me anything. They are just trying to work with the numbers that were fiddled with. He also made it sound like he is doing me a favor.

I have spent about 10 hours(actual time) on the BS after paying the broker his fees with additional stress during the process. The reason we pay the broker is to stay away from all these. Does he still deserve the fees?

I am surprised that this sounds minor to you? By the way they printed my Credit app with my SSN on it and sent it to me for signature. I thought it is all processed in the online application that is secure. So, everyone had access to my ssn(All shady employees). This makes me worried.

There is a difference between deceiving and fraud. Fraud is illegal.

I did send an email asking for details but he just sent me something vague. By the way his title is similar to the person who sold me the car. All of sounded suspicious to me as I have not heard from GM yet. I responded to his vague email with all the details and copied the GM. I also demanded that the GM calls me.

Minor inconvenience? I caught it before it became irreversible. I had been scratching my since the moment I found this last night.

I feel the same here.

6 Likes

That is between you and the broker. I would just consider: how much effort before you hired a broker? Could you get this deal (what you thought you signed of what you got) on your own, on the car you wanted? You have definitely been inconvenienced, but I would take it in the larger perspective.

Most likely, the only person who handled it was whomever put the deals together (the erstwhile finance manger last time, whomever this time). They are printing and packaging the paperwork. as an aside, I always have my credit frozen:

Entirely up to you. My message back would be something like “I appreciate everyone’s quick attention and efforts to resolve: what would put me at ease is an email that details the terms of the paperwork you are sending me to sign, along with the tracking number so I can track and immediately sign and return”.

I would give the GM a day or so to reply: some work weekends and are off M/T, rarely they work bankers hours (daytime M-F) and come in to multiple fires. While I don’t dispute your characterization, a fraudy stealership would not be so responsive to make it right so quickly. They are making an effort, get the terms in writing, give them a chance to get back to you (your email asking for details might offer times the next 2 days you will be available to answer a call from GM). Most importantly, get ready to shake this off and enjoy your new car. Don’t let this sour the best part: getting high on new car smell.

2 Likes

This is a really serious matter for the store.

OP your time is likely valuable and the store is wasting/has wasted your most finite resource.

Here you go: “I am highly concerned about your business practices, and you have wasted my valuable time. In order to put this matter to bed, I am proposing client compensation for $10,000 USD, upon payment of which we will exchange mutual general releases.”

If someone really got fired over this, you’ll get paid here. There has to be a price, or else the business will never learn.

6 Likes

Immediately contact state and federal authorities for mail fraud.

1 Like

This is abit extreme in my opinion.

3 Likes

So, at this point you are not saving $24 a month = $864 over 3 years?