BMW makes CarPlay free

I have seen services that claim to put CarPlay in compatible bmws for much cheaper . Not sure how they do it though .

Software hack it sounds like.

It does annoy me that you have to Download an app to use it on bmw.

Like the ease of plug and play on other brands like FCA, GM’s that’s I have rented.

I’ve had both wired and wireless…I can never go back to wired. Totally worth the $$ stupid fee

If you are planning to lease the car, instead of ragging on BMW, you should thank them. It was a 300.00 option prior to 2019. So, even for a 3 year lease, you’re still paying less by paying yearly.

1 Like

$300 residualized is cheaper on a three-year lease than paying for two years of CarPlay, but only slightly more expensive compared to paying for one year of CarPlay on a two-year lease.

So no CarPlay for you ? That must suck and a big negative for your sales guy. I would escalate .

I hope this trend doesn’t catch on… I find android auto and apple car play to be mediocre at best anyways.

I have it. Added myself using one of the online services, as described in that post/thread.

In ~5 weeks in my new BMW I’ve only used CarPlay a couple of times, and that was just using it for the novelty of it.

The BMW navigation system works really well, and I no longer find myself gravitating to Google Maps (or, heaven forbid, Apple Maps) on my phone as I did in our older cars.

While I’m driving there isn’t much else going on with my phone that I need to see on the in-dash display.

1 Like

For me , carplay is a must have but to each his own. Wireless would be icing on the cake though my BMW loaner had some lag compared to being wired. I am sure manufacturers would be happy to outsource these systems to Apple and Android (for the right price) rather than developing their own version plus having to license Carplay and Android Auto.

1 Like

Off topic, but the grammarian in me thanks you for not saying, “to each their own.” :+1:

1 Like

This is not true. The new Audi MMI has wireless CarPlay (i.e. Q8, A7, A6, and e-tron)- and it’s free.

Agreed. FCA introduced their new generation infotainment systems with CarPlay in the 2017 Charger/300/Challenger and I modified one to work in my RAM a year before they started coming with them from the factory for MY2018. I use it every day, and can’t imagine not having a vehicle with it. Being able to drive with Waze on the 8.4" screen right in the middle of the dash while my phone charges in the console is a huge deal.

didnt know the idrive 7 had screen mirroring. thats better than android auto as youll have access to every app on your phone. i guess you just have to Bimmercode it to work for the vehicle in motion

1 Like

I thought I’d be annoyed about the phone needing to be wired, but considering avoidance of potential lag plus it gets me to charge my phone, I’m actually fine with it.

I use google maps & waze almost every time I drive my wife’s Tiguan (only car in the household with CarPlay), I wouldn’t even consider a new car without CarPlay unless it was insanely cheap.

Honda, Nissan have it standard.

Yeah but then you have to drive a Nissan or Honda.

1 Like

More bimmer for me! :sunny:

1 Like

If you like those grilles, go for it.