BMW M340 Lease ends in 5 months, buy it now or wait

I don’t follow your logic. Why would you pay sales tax now to save on sales tax when you trade your car towards an I4? If there is no equity in your 340i now it’s very unlikely that your car will gain value 6 months from today.

Is that $45000 an actual offer to buy (Carvana, Vroom, etc) or just a KBB value? Are you able to sell the car today if you got the right price or do you need it until your new car comes in? If you still need the car - why not wait until you’re ~30 days out and then see what car is worth then? In this market a lot could change in 5-6 months.

$45k real cash offer,. But bmw won’t allow me to sell to anyone except dealer.

I won’t just drop it off at dealer when lease ends, I want to get some cash, if I wanted to buy a M340 similar to mine in options and mileage, I’d have to pay over $50k.

There is equity now, but BMW dealers won’t pay it, others will.

the end goal is to obtain some benefit from cars equity, in order to do so I have to own it or trade it in at a BMW dealer. BMW dealer won’t pay anything over BMW financial pay off, they realize 100% of the equity, I want some of it.

Are you trying to sell your car now or not until your new car arrives in Oct?

If you’re trying to sell now, then shop it with other BMW dealers.

But if you’re not trying to sell until your new i4 comes in then it doesn’t make sense to do anything now.

2 Likes

Care to answer? It will help determine whether you have any equity.

$45,000 - current payoff with taxes = Equity.

I can do the math, but I want to keep the car until I4 arrives, is not looking good, may be end of year.

I will wait until I have a better idea when I4 May come in

I’m out. Good luck selling the M340i

2 Likes

Thank you all for your responses

:exploding_head:
Can you please mention your buyout today?
And also the residual at the end of lease.
People will be able to help/advice you better.

Buy out today (good until May 10) $ 42,073 w/o tax, and $ 44,597 w/tax
Residual in 4 months $ 39,235 w/o tax, $ 41,589 w/tax

BMW Dealer where I ordered I4 offered $ 43,500, another online place offered $45,000 without seeing the car.

KBB says Trade In value $ 48, 229, private party sale $ 54,353

How hard is it these days to sell it by owner, I could buy it, pay sales tax and be at $44,597, sell it for $49,900 ? are people buying used cars from private sellers?

Sell by owner has never changed really.
There are ups and downs and dealing with $50k in CASH can add a little bit of danger.

That’s why people like selling to the dealers, no danger in there.
And why would someone pay you $49k when Carvana is selling it for the same price?

I know selling by owner is a PITA, but it doesn’t have to be cash, a person can finance with their bank or credit union and get a check or direct deposit, etc. As to why would someone buy from a private seller vs carvana? why not? I probably rather buy from the original owner that has kept the car in a garage than from a used car lot. The thing is I do not want to deal with placing ads and showing the car, etc etc.

Then selling to a dealer is about your only option.

So less than $500 in equity then.

5 Likes

I sold my m340 to an autonation dealership that wasn’t bmw. Since BMW is in their portfolio, you’re allowed to sell. Could be autonation Honda, Porsche, etc. used the link below to start the process then went to the closest autonation dealership.

Ended up making some $$$ at the end of last year, hope this helps!

I’m currently in the process of doing this. I have an M3 with a current payoff of 54k and AN offered 70k. I asked the rep can they buy out BMW leases and he said absolutely yes. So before i get all excited, can i get stiffed when i start to do this deal with them? I looked up a BMW dealer (in their network) on their site and it’s 150 miles away however the rep that is in contact with me is only 30 miles away. What are the chances i go through this process, go to that dealer where my rep is only for him to say we can buy the car but i won’t get any of that positive equity because of the actual network dealer is 150 miles away? That’s a lot of positive equity to get stiffed for. I know there’s fees and all that but even if i come away with 10k in my pocket, that’s a huge score. Can someone help?

You should be just fine with local AN dealer…make sure you get an actual quote from them detailing what they are going to pay with any fees they may add…and the exact amount of check you will be getting. You could also call BMWFS to verify process.

1 Like

Thank you for the response. So can all this be done via email or they will require to see the car first in person?

Prob best you go in person and let the used car manager appraise on site…they should be able to give you value in 10 minutes.

1 Like