BMW Lease Transfer & Taxes

I am trying to transfer my BMW i3 lease to someone, but today when I tried to initiate the transfer I got this message back from BMW…

Please be aware that the Property Tax for 2017 has not been generated and prior to sending the credit applications for the assumption process to the interested parties our Assumptions and Property Tax team would like to discuss certain property tax concerns with you.

I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow, but was hoping the collective brain trust here could perhaps give me a heads up before the all.

You are responsible for the property tax from Jan 1, 2017 until lease transferred to another person. Don’t know how it actually works if the new owner is in the same state. Maybe they just send the bill for the whole 2017 to the new owner and you need to work it out with him? BMW doesn’t know what that amount will be yet.
I’m sure @conanohasselhof can answer this.

I can. Basically you are going to have to pay your estimated 2017 property tax to BMW now. Mine was “estimated” on my previous full year tax bill even though I was transferring the car in July. You then get refunded the difference when the actual tax bill comes to BMW.