BMW lease transfer fraud

This. You gave enough time to the prior owner already, it is time to claim your property.

2 Likes

I did not recommend recovering the car. Right now, OP is SOL since the car is not registered in their name and they have no clue where it is.

Please tell me you have the police report open by now…

1 Like

Report it stolen ASAP and loop your insurance in as well (any damages to the car could be covered this way).
I would consider the car stolen on day 1 stage 3 was completed.

2 Likes

@Yu_Shao, can you post the screen captures of the conversation? you can mask off the contact number.

It would help to see the actual conversation.

2 Likes

I’m curious to know if OP has tried to register this on the app and locate it. Seems that a lot of people are recommending it.

No, I was too stupid not wrote it down. But I may be able to find the screenshot on leasetrader.com

$450/month MSRP $49XXX

He’s not having remorse. He just wants to drive the car for free.

I tried, but I can’t register the car unless I have access to the car. The app is gonna send a confirmation code to the car and I need to know that code.

Yes, but only with a police report.

That’ not happening. The BMW won’t help me get my car they can only contact the nearest police station to help with it, but only if I can provide them with a police report.

Very unfortunately, not yet. My cop friend asked me to wait a couple more days before he can help me with a police report :man_facepalming:

1 Like

When did you receive Stage 3 approval email ? (What exact date and time). Also, have you received the DMV package from BMW already to register the car in your name and get plates?
Even though the lease assumption has been completed, if the vehicle isn’t registered in your name yet, BMW needs to work this out. I suggest call BMW FS back and speak to another agent and also ask for a supervisor to help you with this.

1 Like

OP seems naive here. Go get the car. You were told multiple times what to do to recover it.

Had it been me, i would’ve taken possession of it already . Personal key fob in hand and drove it off.

Keep posting useless stuff here about him not responding to you and you’ll get no results.

What car is it and who’s the transferor? Let us know so this guy could atleast be blacklisted

Edit: Quesion: is this possibly a matter of the transferor wanting to drive the car thru the end of his “month” although technically Stage 3 happened?

That’s the only logical thing I can think of for him to keep driving the car. Did you guys talk about this?

Go to the top
https://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/bmw/

It’s not his car any more, but he also isn’t driving it for free (yet at least) assuming he was the one to pay the previous monthly payment.

If it’s at all possible it may make sense to see if BMWFS will undo the transfer as the car hasn’t been registered, but they do make a big deal about how stage 3 processing can’t be undone. I’d like to think they could make an exception in a scenario like this.

Otherwise you’ll be filing a police report and locating a stolen vehicle which may or may not be damaged.

Of course he is. The car got less than 10000 miles remaining with 16 months left. If he had a road trip with it then it’s a free rental car for him. And he doesn’t even have to worry about damages, wear & tears on tire and stuff. Perfect scam.

There’s no way I can recover the car as of now, check my replies. I called every person that I can expect a lawyer. And I will post the seller’s name hereafter everything’s settled.

1 Like

This is really awful. So your credit is on the hook for the remaining payments yet BMWFS will leave you high and dry to locate the vehicle? If the roadside assistance/connected app thing doesn’t work, there are skip tracing companies that might be able to help you.

1 Like

Idk if cop friend is state or local, but I’d go to at least the state authorities if the guy lives within the same state. Can probably escalate it to higher level if he’s in a different state considering the value of the car involved. Feels like your friend isn’t doing enough tbh.

BMW is going to send you a copy of the odometer statement. Every single mile above that, bill the OP at .25c per mile.

Prorate the monthly payment for the number of days the original owner has kept the car beyond the day S3 was completed.

Also if you are able to see the car at the residence of the original owner, just show up there and call the cops to retrieve your property.

What the original seller is doing feels majorly illegal. Just have to get somewhat that can phrase it correctly in terms of legal speak.

Many attorneys are able to work on a contingency basis. Yours sounds like a good case.
If needed, my guess is you can probably get a rental car of similar caliber and end up billing the original owner for every day you needed the rental because he didnt turn the car over.

1. You DO NOT need a cop “friend” to help you with this. Call your local non-emergency line and report a stolen car and explain the details.

2. BMW will help you once you provide them with what they asked, a police report. Your post seems to suggest they are clearly aware of where the vehicle is and will chase it down once you provide them with a police report, so do it.

3. Call BMW and ask to get help registering the vehicle in the app (though, you don’t have to do this any more if you just file that report)

4. Find that screenshot or post if you want to get your $500 after you get your vehicle, assuming you do get the vehicle. That might also not be your biggest concern at the moment.

8 Likes

the $500 is the least of his problem at this point

4 Likes

Ok. OP not trying to be harsh on you but lot of stuff doesn’t make sense. This is what I have understood so far.
You created this post on a Saturday morning from TX. BMW lease assumption never sends an approval email out on a Saturday (Heck I think even Friday’s is half a day for them). So let’s just assume you received stage 3 approval email on Friday afternoon, you still haven’t received the package or will be receiving it tomorrow to take the paperwork to your DMV to register the car.
Now lets just say if the Seller is really travelling and out of town (in the car or maybe not (people also fly out of town), did you by any chance, give the Seller enough time after receiving approval email ? Or did you panic if his phone off (which could be due to air travel, who knows) did you by any chance maybe send him panic texts ?
I suggest you text him back asking for a definitive answer of when he will be back and then see what the response is.
Also, was this a seller you met through the forums here or through SAL ? Thanks

7 Likes

What year and model? 330i?

I would just let BMW track it and provide information to police. No point to have it setup in the app until the car is in his possession as locating it by himself seems like a bad idea.

I also don’t see a ton of benefit for the original lessee as the car would eventually come up as stolen if he doesn’t deliver it to you.

He said the seller was through leasetrader.com. If he really needs a archived post from that site, I’m sure they’d be willing to work with him to get him the post for further proof.

1 Like