BMW lease transfer fraud

Hey guys. I just finished my stage 3 with BMWFS and I was told to take over the car. However the transferor isn’t answering the phone or reply message. I don’t know what to do now. Do I have to take him to court or can I just call BMWFS to cancel the assumption? Thank you!

I mean I don’t know how long it’s been or the laws by you but if it were me I would ask bmw first.

They don’t open till Monday I just can’t wait. Does anyone know if I can cancel the assumption even after stage 3?

How long have they not been answering the phone/responding to messages?

I called him and sent message right after I received the mail from BMW, it’s been 3 days already. And the paper says technically the car is mine now and I was asked to make my first payment before June 13th.

Also, the guy offered $500 cash incentive but he never said when he’s gonna gave that to me. Now I just feel like the whole thing is a scam.

This is odd. It feels as though he’s now driving a stolen car. Also, I believe you have to register the car so there should be some limiting to your liability.

Also, you should be able to register the car in the BMW App and track it’s location. Or show up to his house with the police if you like. I think the documents revealed each other’s information.

I wish I knew what to say here. Your best bet is to wait until Monday. Nothing will change between now and Monday. Just hope for the best

5 Likes

Yes his address is there but that’s not his current address. He moved and we met at somewhere else to inspect the car. That’s why I feel like the entire thing is just a scam.

But thank you for you advise though I will definitely call BMW on Monday. If they can’t do anything I’ll definitely do everything I can to put this guy in jail.

Well try register using the BMW App to see the car’s location. When I did a transfer, the new owner signed up, automatically removing the car from my garage. You should be able to Atleast see where your car is.

Unfortunately can’t register for it. Need to access to the car to receive the confirmation code

You can work with BMW to report it stolen to the police

3 Likes

Will do. Thank you very mucb

1 Like

It feels unlikely this is a scam - certainly not impossible but if it is this is a pretty dumb scammer given all their information is with you and BMW and the car can be tracked. In addition I’m assuming you didn’t make any sort of payment to them? There just seems to be very little upside. Only thing I can think of is maybe they just wanted the car for a little longer (this weekend or something) which is still messed up and technically illegal.

I guess the other reason could be because they are trying to back out of the transfer altogether?

2 Likes

I am not sure if scam is the best description. IMHO a scam would involve some sort of benefit for the other party - like if you transferred monies to them.

This is one of those weird situations where, worst case scenario, you are out the transfer fee and the $500 that they promised you. But that is something you can discuss with BMW, and maybe they can waive the fee due to your not being able to take possession of the car, etc. - that is if you want or have to get out of the deal.

We live in a crazy world though, and you never know if something might have happened to them. Keep BMW posted and it never hurts to ask to have your transfer fee returned if the transfer never takes place.

Don’t stress out about it, it is a day or two before you get your answers (maybe less if they get back to you). I know you were ready to take possession of the car, and that is a shi* feeling not to be able to do so. But shi* happens.

1 Like

If Stage 3 has occurred, the car is now yours to take. Call BMW Assist and tell them you need the location of YOUR car to go and retrieve. Call the local station, and show up to wherever the car is to retrieve your property.

At this point the car is already yours. If he wants to back out of the transfer, he needs to go through the lease assumption process all over again to take the car back.

BMW has all the information you possibly need on this guy, including the exact GPS whereabouts of the car.

1 Like

That’s why I am trying to understand what the current situation is. On the paperwork it says the car is now under my name and I’m responsible for it financially but I haven’t even seen the car. I saw too many scams when I search on Google. I saw people replace all the bmw parts with cheap knockoffs when they hand over the car to the transferee, and BMW won’t do nothing about it, that’s why I feel so stupid and not protected during the whole process. Even if he hands over the car to me right now I don’t feel like taking it. I can’t believe BMW just finishes the transfer without having the transferor sign anything and let me at least have the car inspected before I takeover the car.

Buyer’s remorse?
I think there might be more to the story here.

Well if you read the paperwork the sent you, you would know that Stage 2 is the last point where anything needs to be submitted by either party. Stage 3 is purely on BMWFS’ end, and Stage 3 is the point of no return.

You literally had to insure the car in order for them to complete S3. They advise to have the car PPI’d and whatever before S2 paperwork is completed FYI

6 Likes

May I ask you what if the car is in shitty condition? What if BMW helped me find the car, but the car was damaged or crashed? Am I responsible for it?

BMW requested all paper work to be sent to them within 5 days, that’s why I mailed everything the other day and that’s when I lost touch with the seller. Literally the last message I got from the seller is that he asked me if I mailed out all paper work. Once I confirmed that, I never hear back from him again

Don’t let this be the reason why your mind is simulating horror scenarios.
I would venture on and say that 99% or so of lease transfers are completely trouble free.

As for the bad condition, I am not familiar of a situation where that’s been the case. I would just sue him and force them to have everything fixed under their insurance. If this actually ends up being the case, you will need an attorney for sure.

If he is in fact trying to scam you, it’s not going to be w/o legal consequences.
If you are absolutely certain that you are being scammed, I would strongly suggest that you hire an attorney. Document all your interactions with the seller, including the attempts you have made to contact. You will certainly be able to find a resolution in my opinion.

1 Like

If that’s the case, with all that money I spend on an attorney, it’s so not worth it if the consequences are just “having him fixed the car”. I need to at lease charge him for illegal possession or fraud.

Anyway I’ll call BMW on Monday and keep y’all posted.