BMW IX's Literally Rotting on the Lots

What if we weren’t histrionic, but looked at the data. The BMW folks have better data, I’m just looking at Car Gurus so YMMV

• Total units in stock: 1,737
  • In Q1-23 bmw sold an average of 783/mo, so ~66 days on inventory on dealer lots
  • >= 90-days aged: 264
  • >= 120-days: 176
  • >= 180-days: 76
  • Birthday Cars: 0

I don’t think you are allowed to use the word “rotten” until at least 1 inspection sticker has died for the cause.

11 Likes

The model Y and Model 3 were the 9th and 15th best selling cars of 2022. The demand and economics are there.

We can blame the govt for a lot, but it’s not sleepy joes fault that the Germans are choosing to make 100k+ pos cars that have zero value proposition until they’re on lease fire sale

8 Likes

He’s now known as
Joe Biden GIF by C-SPAN

9 Likes

Demand partially created with government money. There is of course demand just not enough to soak up all these new entrants. Tesla was a first mover, makes a good product and has kept their costs down and therefore has monopolized most of the demand. The first 5 or 10% of car sales being evs is easy. Let’s see how the next 10% goes let alone 50% (or 100 in CA).

3 Likes

a looks like o from here, better put my glasses on.

1 Like

Tesla was first and best dressed with one of the most versatile mass production BEV cars (3/Y)

They were also the first to drop their pants when the race to the bottom began. Some say it’s because of Tw@tter…Nay I say.

Why? Tesla collected the big money for the better part of a year while they built GigaTX — Tesla was going to flood the market no matter what.

5 Likes

Might be time for bifocals, or cataract surgery…

3 Likes

As BMW is finding out, nobody wants them because they are a giant pain in the ass. EVs are go carts for picking up your groceries and not much else.

3 Likes

Plenty of people want EVs, not many can afford $100k EVs in a 6% interest rate environment.

11 Likes

Disagree. The current crop of long range BEV are very capable of long distance travel.

1 Like

They are a pain to own, don’t work in the cold, aren’t fixable, a blip of the volume of total cars sold, and need government welfare to move off the lots. and I have no idea why a car leasing forum spends so much time talking about them

5 Likes

Easy to answer that one

We see 100K+ cars for same payment as a 60K BMW.

That is it, did I have any idea I wanted one of these things? No but when you see the payment to value vs msrp it’s an easy decision

Heh, I will give it to you that BEV are not fans of cold weather but truth be told if ICE didn’t produce waste heat in their operation neither would they.

We’ve been using these cars for cross country travel for years and aside from the occasional adventure in finding suitable charging options (something that will go away as both DCFC and L2 becomes more ubiquitous) it’s been quite pleasant.

You drive for a few hours at a time and you grab a lunch or stretch break while charging, arrive at your destination more alert.

2 Likes

Fixed this for ya. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

9 Likes

Feel free to ignore any EV threads.

10 Likes

Not an expert here.
In regards to the market value of EQS.
One year old $104k unit.
What are they going to do with those cars in 20 months?

7 Likes

Wow! I will keep mine if MBFS sells it to me at $50& at the end of the lease :smile:

3 Likes

Same. Love my EQS. Wouldn’t have paid 115k for mine, but at 16k for two years and then buying used for say 50-55k in two years it is awesome.

I’ll also look at used iX and Genesis GV60 or GV70 electric. May the best value win.

2 Likes

I am having trouble conceiving of the price point that would make me want one of these.

I’ve gone to the builder on bmwusa dot com, and I can’t get past picking an exterior color.

6 Likes

Just drive one… they are quite nice EVs especially with air suspension and the upgraded audio system. I can see the appeal.

Now the BMW XM on the other hand… that’s a pile of shit. So unrefined compared to the iX.

3 Likes