BMW iX fence collision during assisted parking, advice appreciated

Hello all,

My wife has a 2025 BMW iX which I leased thanks to the education on this forum. In May, she used the auto park feature to park in the driveway. To park, you have to back in, line up, manually open the gate, and drive straight back about 10-12 feet. There is a black, non-reflective fence on the driver’s side and the yard on the passenger. She thought this would be the ideal situation to test this feature. She selected auto park and had her hands on the wheel. The car went a foot back, accelerated and jerked to the wheel to the left. By the time she could react, the car had hit the fence. None of the alerts went off, there was no red on the image, and definitely no sound–just shock. She immediately called insurance and BMW–whose response after running the VIN was, “that shouldn’t have happened.” They recommended taking to the dealer and running special diagnostics. The bumper was hanging off the back, so I specifically asked if we should take it to the dealer first or to the bodyshop (have this in an email). The BMW specialist said that having the bumper repaired wouldn’t interfere with the necessary diagnostics. We took it to the bodyshop, then immediately to the dealer. At that time, there was a cursory inspection and they told us to bring it back for a more specialized technical inspection. They also mentioned that they had seen this before. For the next visit to the dealer, the car remained at the dealer for 2 weeks. When we picked it up, they mentioned that the car’s history was wiped as the bumper had been replaced first and they couldn’t assess the cause of the incident. I asked for the service manager and explained to him my conversation with BMW. He told me there was an extra technical evaluation that could review the software and recommended that I contact BMW directly. BMW said they were not aware of anything else that could be done. He proceeded to spend 25 minutes telling me how sensitive and delicate these cars are and that, “these things happen.”

I am not sure how to proceed. Would this be a Lemon Law incident? We are out our deductible, will see an insurance increase, the value of the car has decreased, and have to spend $1000 to fix the fence. I know my wife well, she is meticulous, there is no possibility that she is misrepresenting the accident. We have been tracking the car and it has done some odd things: stopped in the middle of the street when there were no cars/people around. Just yesterday, as we were driving down our 2 way street, it yelled at us as a car was passing, then proceeded to yell for another 30 seconds when there was nothing there. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

I would test the “these things happen” theory at the dealership on a daily basis until the issue repeats itself. Make sure you tell it to park itself next to the really expensive models.

3 Likes

This same exact thing happened with me on my 2022 M550 at the performance center delivery in South Carolina. The BMW rep was showing me how the auto parking feature works on parallel parking on my own car that I was about to take delivery of. As my car got really close to the curb and to a M4 parked behind, the rep hit the break and stated, “Maybe not a good idea to test here” lol. To which me and my buddy laughed and I stated that yeah I doubt I am ever using this feature as I would never be comfortable.
I have owned multiple BMWs and all of them have reacted weirdly when it comes to using the park assist even if you do not initiate it. The most recent one I have is on our 2025 X7 and 2025 760i where the side sensors, see a drain cover or even a mid size leaf on the road when pulling into a parking spot as an obstacle and would abruptly brake giving a mini heart attack followed by an embarrassment of wide eyed looks from people around you who probably assume that I am a new drive who doesnt know how to park in our out of a parking spot :woozy_face:

2 Likes

Excuse me, which of the window offices near the driveway is the GM’s?

Really all that matters in the end :wink:

Lemon law would be something that required multiple visits to the shop for the same exact problem.

Sorry for your loss

My 2016 i3 does a pretty exceptional job parking, but won’t back in. But it will self-park in a spot only 22" longer than the car and it gets up and personal with the curb without wheel rash.

Sorry to hear about this; it’s so annoying.