BMW iX 50 or Tesla (X/Y)? In Northern NJ? For local and long distance driving - Pros/Cons

, , ,

Hi,

Test drove the iX x50 and like it. However I am worried about charging with EA as comments seem negative. Is it that bad? Can you use Tesla supercharger with adapter for few times when you cannot find EA?

I never had EV before. So any other feedback will be helpful. Idea is to use for mostly local and some long distance (300-500 miles) driving.

Thanks

In some ways this is like getting your first car. And no one would recommend a $100k+ car for a first car.

I would suggest a shorter term (13/24m EQx if they still exist) or a more affordable car that’s easier to dispose if you don’t like it (sub $50,000)

Yes, BMWs can be transferred but I suspect BMW will also have to drop the price on these which would make your payment above market

2 Likes

It will be lease. Was looking for 2 yr but numbers work for 3 yrs better. Had similar price range non-EV car before. So am ok with that. Was more worried about driving and charging issues?

Appreciate the feedback.

For the same money I’d take an MX over an iX and an iX over a MY.

The key there though is that a MX leases significantly worse than either of the last two.

EA is free, but you’re not limited to EA. If you’re going to pay, might as well use any other vendor.

EA is not terrible. Just doesn’t always give consistent kw.

True. Thanks for the input. MX is way over iX.

LOL. This is LEASEHackr, not Pay Elon What He Wants Hackr.

Charging: the best way to not be disappointed is to assume your first EV is just for driving within the radius of your home, especially in winter when range drops. Long distance trips can gradually be added as you get used to it.

Driving: in my experience RWD EVs drive just like RWD ICEVs, with better throttle response obv, but AWD EVs do not necessarily drive like AWD ICEVs during spirited driving and/or slippery conditions. There’s something about how EVs can transfer instant torque to the front wheels in a way that ICEVs do not. I would not get one of the faster EVs as a first EV.

2 Likes

Your in NJ, most of us are home charging.

Availability of public chargers will only become a problem for longer road trips.

Having known charging at your destination can alleviate this issue.

I would not expect to charge a BMW at a Tesla SC anytime soon.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.