BMW FS doesn't give back tax credit for X5 PHEV lease

As my 4xe keeps getting delay, switching my target to the X5 45e. Most dealers accept Corp Fleet ($750) and $1500 clean air rebate, with slightly markup MF.

None of the lease quote I received has anything more than the above rebates. So basically BMW FS (the one who owns the car) doesn’t give back any of the $7500 tax credit? In this case, I’m thinking to buy it to take advantage of the tax credit (which is less than my tax liability)

And what is the normal discount people here received back in the ‘good’ pre-COVID time for this trim?

BMW didn’t pass along the EV rebate when I worked for them from 18’-20’.

And what people received before 21’ or even earlier this year is a mute point.

1 Like

And what people received before 21’ or even earlier this year is a mute point.

I know, just asking out of curiosity, I’m well prepared to pay MSRP lol

In the past I saw people get 8-10% off MSRP but mostly demo units and regular X5, not the 45e.

We weren’t doing heavy discounts on them considering how rare they were for our market, but I could see someone in Cali getting a similar deal to a regular X5.

Correct: if Edmunds doesn’t list any lease cash, bmwfs is keeping it.

You would have to do the math if it makes more sense to buy, lease, or balloon finance (I think BMW calls it owner’s choice).

1 Like

You get the tax credit with an owner’s choice like you would with financing but it is not offered in every state. Not sure about Cali, but I believe it is just a handful of states (IL and TX come to mind).

2 Likes

Not sure about Cali, but I believe it is just a handful of states (IL and TX come to mind).

How about BMW Select? Do you know if it’s available in CA, from what I read it’s also a kind of balloon finance (so I can claim the $7500 tax credit) with the exception that you HAVE TO buy the car at the end of the ‘lease’ term. (It’s not actually a lease strictly speaking).

With Owner’s Choice, you have the option to sell back the car to BMW FS, and like you said this is only available to a handful of states.

How do RV/MF of BMW Select work?

No clue since it was mostly for pre-owned cars. Never offered it or had anyone ask about it.

1 Like

Finally done with car shopping, would not call it a deal but at least didn’t pay over MSRP for the car I like.

Base X5 45e PHEV, MSRP $66,395 with $2250 incentive a($750 fleet + $1500 clean air rebate), buy rate 1.9%.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.