BMW financial , leased car had minor damage at delivery, now it's time to return

I leased this car and saw this gap at the dealership when taking possession. The salesman then told me to stop by anytime to get it fixed. I waited more than 30 days and then later they refused to fix it. That was my fault to take the vehicle with damage, and I learnt a major lesson for next time.

The manager at the dealership (after they refused to fix it at their expense) told me to get it fixed someplace else because bmw dealer would be expensive to fix as it looked like an easy fix. The car has no issues and I drove it like this throughout my lease. Now it’s time t return and I understand it’s my responsibility to get it fixed or pay a fine.

Anyone know if this is a minor fix? it looks like some clips inside may be lose, but I don’t know where to start.

Do any of your friends/family have experience with a reputable independent body shop in your area?

I mean it’s not the worst damage we’ve seen here :laughing:

1 Like

Looks like my model y panel gaps. “Within spec”

5 Likes

Does BMWFS’ inspection 3rd party service even have panel gap measurement on its checklist?

1 Like

I doubt anyone’s going to notice that. I’ve turned in cars with tree sap on the paint and never got charged for it. As long as major items like tires/dents are good you should be fine.

I guess you didn’t get a ‘DUE BILL’ to fix it but took their word they would ‘fix it’. Salesmen will say anything to get that car off the lot and will immediately forget.

An inspector will find that, it’s so obvious that it shows up in pictures, they will find it and charge you $$$ at the end.

No one can tell you it’s a clip or a bent fender from pictures, you need to get an estimate at a local body shop (Those are free) and see what they can tell you.

As a extra you might want to run a Carfax on that car, if it shows damage before you took delivery, you could have a path to return.

Does it approximate (i.e. does the gap close)? If it does, close the gap and put some duct tape on the inner side (may need to remove a liner to access) before turn in inspection.

Inspectors don’t do much beyond measuring the measurables on their checklist.

1 Like

The less ethical part of me just says, super glue on the end of a chopstick, coat both sides on an area, then stick em together, and end of the problem.

Whenever someone notices, it’s not your problem anymore.,

will start with some body shop nearby to get free quotes. I guess it’s minor, and maybe the inspector won’t notice, but what if they charge me later after I send my car in.

Will decide in few days after speaking with body shop guys.

I even had that in my texts, even then the manager refused.

Order inspection in advance so you have enough time to fix, if the inspector notices.

5 Likes

I can’t do that, it doesn’t close the gap that way. It’s heavy material tied firmly and won’t move.
it feels like it’s just not seated right from inside. Maybe it just about removing the panel and putting it back again.

can they claim it later saying that it happened after I got the inspection done?

You take pics before and right after inspection.
Heck, even take one with the inspector in front of this thing lol

2 Likes

No, the inspection is basically final unless something drastic and obvious like a big car crash happens.

1 Like

That’s great to know. thanks.

That’s the purpose of the Due Bill, texts or verbals mean nothing. Still have a pro look at it, it’s free

got it. So anytime you see a damage at possession, get a due bill so they will fix it later.

Or just don’t take possession, unless you’re very confident in the dealer and they have a stellar reputation.

Anyone can play the endless transfer-to-voicemail perpetual runaround if they really DGAF.