BMW Excess Wear and Tear Charges

, , ,

Check the back of your chase contract - I posted it elsewhere here. Just cant find it.

Some lenders have them. Honda has something like $500 by default and more for returning lessees while CULA credit union leases have $1,500 damage waiver IIRC

I would say the 1st scratch is BS, that’s a minor scuff.
but you got the curb rash forgiven? That first pic is pretty ugly.

Thanks, I’ll take a look. My wife curbed 3 of the 4 wheels and my lease is up next month.

1 Like

I returned the 2018 X5 while picking up two new cars from the same dealership. The finance manager came and did the inspection and charged me $900 on the lease returned. I asked him repeatedly that anything less than 2" shouldn’t be charged and the wheel curb might fall outside the curb rash guidelines with small charge. But he charged me everything maximum per the lease return document.

Right door Ding - $100
Rear Bumper/Cover - $400
19" Rim - $400

Folks - is it worth fighting with BMWFS? I leased two new BMW at the same time.

@karanganjoo27 what did you tell BMWFS to remove $1200?

Thanks much.

Just tell them this is the third lease from BMW FS and ask if they can waive to damage. The bumper is pretty bad, but I would fight for the wheel and door ding at least.

1 Like

You mean I should call the BMWFS now to waive the charges? The two new BMW’s I picked up are 5-6th with BMWFS.

I had the drive of 5 hrs while picking up new cars so I left the dealer after asking him if he can waive the wheel and door ding. He said it’s not in my hand, he will submit pictures and BMW will make the decision.

Wait til your new BMWs show up on your online account and you get a bill for the old one. It’s hard for a rep to waive charges that they may not be able to see yet.

1 Like

Thank you, final bill shows up in the terminated account on bmwfs portal yesterday.

I will wait for the new cars to show up in BMWFS accounts before making the call.

BMW Finance Manager did your inspection? Were you trading in?

Yes, it’s small dealer in OR state. Not a volume dealer.

No trade in. Returned the old lease and picked up two new leases.

That’s odd as most OEMs use a 3rd party independent. Definitely NOT the dealer. Dealer would under value it to get it a lower cost to them.

If the final statement is posted you can call the lease end department and ask nicely for the rep to look at the changes and see what they can do for you. Being pleasant and courteous will go a long way here. They will be able to see if you leased another vehicle. I was able to get my full bill of $450 waived and I have see others that were forgiven of some charges and not on others. I think it will depend on what the charges are for.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! yes!!

New cars accounts hasn’t shown up yet. Will wait for both accounts to show up later this week before calling BMWFS. Also need to get mileage credit approx. $300 from old 2018 530e lease which has to credit to the new 2021 530i account. I will call and take care of both issues together later this week.

I’m super surprised about what I’m reading here. In my experience with bmw lease end inspection, BMW has been very fair, may I even say lenient. Maybe it’s a sign of the times, I haven’t returned one in two years.

In regards to autovin, I have nothing good to say about them. Here in S.FL they do Mercedes lease end inspections. There was a piece of the roof on a c class a few years back that was sun damaged, and it was obvious that it wasn’t from neglect. They wanted to charge a fortune. I ended up having to get the dealer to talk to MB financial to get it waived.

For BMW, they do lease end inspection at the dealership here and they’re been pretty lenient. I’ve returned cars with significant scratches and wasn’t even marked down.

I would recommend to call around and see if you can get a end of lease inspection done at a dealership where they offer it if at all possible, even if you have to drive a little to do it. Better than being at the mercy of a Third party company whose only job it is to find stuff wrong with the car.

How do you get ‘sun damage’ from a less than 3 year old car?

Faded… was obvious defect and would have been replaced under warranty but autovin thought customer should pay

I bet I’ve had a wear & tear problem you’ve never seen. When I returned my Acura RDX, I was cleaning it out and noticed that my “body bronzer” (yes, I’m female) had left a residue on the black faux leather seats. Figured it would just wipe off, but nooo, man it was stuck in those grooves. I worked for a long time, even with a brush, and got as much off as I could, but I could still see it when I turned it in. Luckily, I didn’t get dinged for it, despite not re-upping with them. They probably have a power-cleaning system that could get it out.

I’ve never had a problem with BMW lease-end charges but these high-penalty examples are scaring me.

My last BMW X5 was returned couple years ago They didn’t charge any of wear & tear even autovin report
estimate $600 for 2 tires(2/32,3/32). and some how they charged me only 20 cents for excess mileage not 25Cents.

I have an Autovin inspection scheduled for this Friday.

This post is now scaring me and thinking if I should just cancel it and use my local dealer to do the pre and final inspection. (They are an authorized dealership from BMW to do lease end inspections)

I turned in my last car there a month and a half ago and no issues.