BMW CPO purchase advice

I am zeroing in on a CPO, wanted to get your take on an issue with the vehicle history that came up today during discussions with the dealership

Carfax report shows it as a 2020 vehicle that was first registered in mid 2021 (with 5 miles, so brand new) on it, registered as a corporate fleet vehicle.

When talking with the BMW finance team today, I asked them on the warranty - stating (based on Carfax date), that I should be good from 2021 +4 years and then the additional CPO year.

Finance said that the car shows (in the BMW system?) an original in service date of early 2020, so the warranty would be approx one year less.

They could not explain to me how a car can have an original in service date for warranty without the car being registered for use.

Does this seem odd or is there some reasonable explanation?

thanks

Fairly common. Warranty clock starts when car is put into service and that might not require “registering” - could have been used with a manufacturer plate if a corporate vehicle, or used for training or car shows or some other use (Performance Center, etc.) or if it was actually a dealer car and not manufacturer car, could have been used as a demo.

2 Likes

It was probably a punched loaner car. The warranty started when they put it in service, and at some time later, by choice, or not, they took ownership. Punched loaners seem to be common for BMW.

1 Like

Have you asked anyone on the forum if it’s actually a good deal?

1 Like

Thanks, what does the fact that when it was registered almost 14 months after the warranty in service date with (5 Miles) tell you what it might have been?

When I asked the dealership finance guy for a bit more detail, he seemed to only be able to speculate . What should I ask the dealership (that they can quickly find out from the car records they have)?

2020 X6 M50i with 3200 miles, what would be a good deal?

Virtually guaranteed it will never be a good deal, because the GM is waiting for some idiot to walk in salivating at the low miles and ignore the warranty issue.

iT’s bAs1caLLy bRanD nEw!

Obviously it’s not the same form factor but people like @JohnCaza are getting lease deals on 750i’s. If you want a BMW V8, look into that.

thanks, well at least I am asking the right questions on the warranty and this discrepancy between the BMW in service warranty record (2020) and what I saw on CARFAX based on title issuance (2021) that was confirmed in the initial discussions with the sales rep. I was willing to give it a go if I had 2021+4 basic warranty and then the CPO plus one. At present based on the subsequent discussion with the finance team it would be covered according to them until around June 26, so two more years. Plus they cannot seem to provide service records (at least till now, I am asking for them now).

What is the sale price being offered? $70k? What was the original MSRP?

Disclaimer: I am not a BMW expert, so I can’t tell you whether it is a good deal or not. You are going to have to figure that out on your own.

Yeah by doing your due diligence you’ve dodged a bullet there.