BMW brake service notice 1 month before lease end

You could check when the pads needed to be replaced anytime in the service menu. It will tell you how many miles you have left. Replace the pads and let it be a lesson learned to check your service intervals more frequently.

1 Like

Just take it to an Indy shop, pay to have the brake pads replaced. You used the brakes, you signed the contract. You’re going to get charged if you return it with the service message.

Make sure you the dealer notates that you returned both key fobs. I was also charged for missing one key but sent them proof I returned both and they took the charge off.

1 Like

Fee for turning it in with the brakes needed is probably less than doing the job. You might also get the charges waived from the lease end department if you stay loyal to the brand.

1 Like

It’s a sensor in the pad itself, so it isn’t rigged. Order OEM pads ( Jurid, I think ) off Amazon or Ebay and have the brake / tire guy on the corner swap them out.

1 Like

The front brake warning of my 2019 X2 came on @15k miles. Its not rigged. Its a bad design for sure. The tiny sensor that clips to one pad wears down and trips the circuit. I changed them myself since its easy on this platform.

1 Like

How is it a bad design? The only way that sensor goes off is if the pads are in fact worn down.

2 Likes

Lots of info on the F48 bimmerpost forum. I noticed some strange bite wear. Outside pads had tons of meat left, while inside pad (that the sensor clips on) was worn but still had some life left. That is why the sensor is really conservative, that sensor is really thick. Pads were textar so they are not the problem. My gti is still on its original pads at 60k.

Isn’t brakes included in BMW warranty or is it a package that has to be purchased?

Wear items not covered. Tried to have them replaced under warranty for abnormal wear but SA couldn’t help.

Right… they changed it few years ago…

I would just go change a set of pads and call it a day … very easy to do

I have a 2018 x1 xDrive and the brake light also came on right before the lease is due. I found a few sites that sell brake pads but how do I find which brand is OEM? Thanks in advance

Brake pads don’t need to be OEM.

FCPEuro / ECS Tuning are great sites. Both sells the OEM supplier, which will be cheaper than buying genuine BMW.

Textar, Juríd are oem. Akebono euro kit (with sensor) is good too. The sensor is around 30 at the dealer.

Wow, brought back memories.

And yes Jurid is OEM. They made pads for all the MBs back in the 80’s and the sensors aren’t new either. MB and BMW used these from since I can remember .

Don’t take this personal but for you guys eating your brake pads before 25k miles, I suggest you guys take some driving courses to reassess/correct your driving habits. Most people unnecessarily use the brakes causing premature brake wear. It’s just not taught here in the US. I see it all the time on the road.

Gotta “stop riding the brakes”

1 Like

All I do is ride the brakes in NYC traffic lol

Kidding but there must be an issue with the x2 because my x5 went 35k miles till brakes were changed. The weight difference between the cars is massive. They were still covered when I bought the x5 in 2015 so dealer just swapped them for free

The uneven bite wear of the inner pads is not normal. That and the thick sensor and its position on the pad make the warning come too early. Definitely could have had some 3-5k miles left.

An overactive DSC might play into it too. Hey it’s a Mini Countryman with a bmw badge.

FYI there a good video on YT made by a Clubman owner on how to change these brakes. They are the same as the x2/x1.

On Hondas I usually go through rear pads way faster than fronts because their brake bias is set up to the rear for light braking.

My accord has 62k miles, I had to do the rear rotors/pads at 50k. The front pads still have about half thickness left.

Totally OT but it drives me crazy on some weird deep level when I’m riding with someone who doesn’t start coasting the second they see a light in front of them is red, then slam the brakes on 50 feet from it.

1 Like

Here it’s probably 50% of LHers do this. Nationwide, I would bet 80%. Drives me nuts to ride with ‘em

1 Like

so you have to buy the sensor too ? do i have to buy 1 or 2 sensors for the rear brake pads? Also is it true the brake pads do not have to be OEM ? My lease return date is this tues but i’m thinking about extending it just so i can replace the brakes. Don’t want to be charged an obscene amount for it.

sorry for all the questions