BMW 530e VS Ford Fusion Energi

, ,

Fusion Energi sounds like a great commuter car for the price. 530e is $16,400 for 3 years, and Fusion Energi is $10,582 (which could be even less if you drop down to 10,500 miles per year).

As others mentioned, you’re paying a $5k premium for the 530e. If you have $5k burning a hole in your pocket and don’t need the extra 2k miles per year, burn the $5k and enjoy the BMW. Otherwise save/invest that $5k or spend it on something else. Only you can make the call in the end.

Your insurance agent will have to tell you the insurance cost difference.

You may also have some other compelling options to lease a BMW i3 or purchase a VW eGolf on the cheap in CA (if you don’t need a gas option).

It rides/drives/handles like neither of the aforementioned sedans. I’d take the Fusion Energi over the GLC350e.

It’s been said: the Ford is a better deal and will cost less to operate. The BMW is a more luxurious looking/driving experience.

As someone who spent months shopping both and chose neither: if you can afford both, pick the one you enjoy driving the most. If you are trying to be frugal, unapologetically go get that Fusion Energi it’s a fine ride and you can brag about your hundreds of MPGs.

Just keep in mind: the Fusion comes in only one trim - loaded (leather, co-pilot 360, etc). Only option is sunroof or not. The Clarify deal is base, cloth seats and no sunroof (not available). The NIRO is very nice but doesn’t lease well especially as you climb trims.

1 Like

What is this thing “insurance agent” ? I’ve had car insurance for 9 years since I moved to US, only AAA had “agents”. It takes 5 mins to get a quote from any company online. I usually pull 4-5 to see which one offers best but yeah, it shouldn;t be too time consuming, remember 15 mins could save you 15% or more…

We are getting 12-13 miles only. Pretty pathetic.

1 Like

Do you get spam for months later? I am always so hesitant to give the websites my info.

2 Likes

I use an agent because they can shop multiple companies for you, which is a lot easier than entering your info into 20 sites and getting nonstop emails and phone calls.

2 Likes

I use a dummy email and phone. I will only pursue top 2 with real info when I am ready

1 Like

Not to be particular, but don’t you mean an insurance broker?

When I make changes to my policy, I call my insurance company and talk to an agent. As crazy as it sounds, when I was between a couple diff vehicles, it was WAY faster to speak to an agent and read them three VINs (and not fill out the other 7 web forms the same three times). Likewise, when I chose one of those vehicles and leased it, the agent pulled it up in 10 seconds and all the coverages were set/correct. Actually faster than doing it myself online (my normal MO).

You have an insurance broker, who not only does that with your current company, but can cross-shop the other 10 they sells in minutes, and advise you based on their experience what company is the best for what.

I’ve had great luck with esurance, a customer turned me onto them probably 13 or 14 years ago, every time I shop it, their rates are lowest. Super easy to add and subtract cars. If you have a military connection in your family, USAA is the way to go.

Yeah that dude is the one.

But he also makes policy changes for me so who knows.

1 Like

I’ve consistently had real good rates with Geico over 6 years and 3 different states. Even when they have raised the rates by 50% in last 12 months, they are still the cheapest. and I shop 7-10 companies every 6 months. My point isn’t that Geico is the cheapest, but that there usually isn’t a insurance company that is always the cheapest… it will vary hugely case to case basis.

Signed 2019 Ford Fusion Energi 12K miles for $286 with tax & $300 DAS!!

4 Likes

Congrats, enjoy the ride!

1 Like

You made the right financial choice! Congrats on not keeping up with the Joneses.

1 Like

Welcome to the club :sunglasses:

1 Like

@soli, you made the right choice if your primary use is a commuter. Your cost/mile should be much lower with Fusion. Have owned both, Fusion weights less, tires last longer, better gas mileage, insurance less, BMW 2X more gas fillups, Fusion Titanium energy never had a problem. Only negative Ford gutless compared to 530e and Ford discontinuing Fusion after this year. Ford quiet and easy to charge, BMW sounds like a jet engine warming up 2-3 min every evening when plugged in.
BMW great smooth ride, more features, eco but performance oriented, looks great. 2020 530e will have a larger 2x+ battery.

1 Like

Depends on what you personally like more. I have driven the Fusion Sport 2.7T, and did not like at all. Felt really cheap inside, and I was surprised by the mediocre acceleration for 300+ hp and that much torque. If you can afford the extra 120 bucks a month, between the two I would take the 530e, no brainer.

I’ll throw my hat in the random comment ring here- why not now discuss the safety of both vehicles. Ford in a frontal offset crash vs. BMW 5 series. Discuss.

Hi,

Also, I am thinking to lease a Fusion Energi, basically as a commuter.
How did you like your it after one month. Which dealer did you buy it from?

Thanks.