Between 2 used cars: '16 GMC Terrain vs. '19 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport (Hertz)

It almost doesn’t matter what the other choice is.

I may come back later and edit out the word “almost.”

1 Like

I am always amused when I read that rental cars are abused by the renters. I have been renting cars for over 50 years and have never abused or misused one.

Perhaps when these comments are made I should read “I always beat the crap out of rental cars”?

For the love of god don’t buy rental hertz cars.

6 Likes

Brand new Kia Soul financed at 0.9% APR

I wouldn’t touch a used GMC or Mitsubishi with a 10-foot pole.

4 Likes

I should have provide a little more context - my fiance is the poor grad student and this would be our second car. I’m her fiance who will be buying the car and having her pay me monthly installments at a 0% interest :wink: This one would be used as a point A to point B for a couple days a week for her work commute, so it really needs to just “work”. Plus points if we can use it on the weekends for longer road trips to save miles on my X5 rental, but not a core use for this new car.

I realize I picked probably the worst 2 options of the lot but with 5 year old / 100k mile CRVs and RAV4s going for $22k+ this seemed like the better option. Online searches have not yielded much in terms of value either.

We need the car for 1-2 years, monthly budget is around $300. That’s why we wanted to buy used and then sell it at the end to recoup some. Leasing in the current market seems like terrible timing.

It’s actually more for my sense of comfort. My fiance is an inexperienced driver and I’d want for her to have higher ground clearance.

LOL- it’s not been a fun search either. See above - not for me, for my fiance as a commuter car.

This is super intriguing. Is this a Nissan Frontier? Where can I find a dealer willing to do a 99% RV? The 18 month term is actually perfect for us.

Exactly - I always take care of rentals as I don’t want to be dinged in the end.

1 Like

I found the thread. I mean how would I even go about replicating this grail? This doesn’t seem to be a realistic alternative

1 Like

Are you trying to prevent the wedding from happening?

5 Likes

Lol no that would not be good. But beggars can’t be choosers…we just need the thing to work for a couple years for her 5 mile roundtrip commute each day. People are acting as if buying anything but a Toyota/Honda is a money pit. Is it really the case that anything non-Toyota/Honda is breaking down after 5 years/60k? I don’t think so. Realize I’m rolling the dice w/these options but that’s what the bumper to bumper extended warranty is for?

1 Like

It’s not that anything but a honda/Toyota is a money pit, it’s that those two are literally the worst vehicles I’ve ever had the displeasure of driving (well, the Mitsubishi eclipse cross is slightly worse).

And then, to add insult to injury, you want to buy ex-rental car iterations of them.

2 Likes

Can’t find a Kia Soul around me for below ~$30k MSRP which is egregious

2 Likes

Haha - neither of them drove very well that’s for sure. The GMC felt like it was driving a huge truck for a car not bigger than an X3. The Mitsu was somehow worse that struggled to drive above 20mph

To clarify though - only the Mitsu is an ex-rental. The GMC is a 2 owner ex-private use.

1 Like

This doesn’t make any sense.

You’d give up Toyota Safety Sense or its Honda/Kia equivalents for “more ground clearance”?

You’d give up a brand new powertrain with brand new tires and brakes to put her in a shitbox that could leave her stranded?

4 Likes

Yes - I would rather drive a bigger GMC over a Corolla equipped with Sense or Civic/Soul. Put them on a bender with anything on 101 or 280 and I’d take the GMC every time.

So by that logic - is anything but a brand new car with a brand new powertrain/tires/brakes a non-candidate? Ok smart.

A 2-3 yr old Soul is $17-19k, and that would be a lot better value than the other 2.

I think you’re underestimating how incredibly shitty these two cars are

4 Likes

No, but the two cars you chose are shitboxes.

4 Likes

Do you understand the concepts of collision avoidance and mitigation?

1 Like

Does not make much sense to me getting an SUV for that reason, but it is your money.

Good luck finding something in your price range. I am out.

You can understand all the concepts you want but in the case that a Corolla with all that tech comes head on with an SUV - you have fun being totaled in a car knowing that you understand these concepts very well!