Better to transfer car to local dealer or go directly to a dealer that has it?

So I have pretty well decided on a 2020 BMW 430i convertible. I feel like the dealership I am working with and the salesman have offered me a good deal. Problem is while he has multiple convertibles, they are all colors I don’t like and lacking a feature I really want. Meanwhile, another dealership 40 minutes away has one with that feature and in a color I like. Should I try to get my salesman to work a trade to get that car transferred from the other dealership so he can sell it to me, or reach out directly to the other dealership? Seems like eliminating the transfer would save me money, but only if the other dealership is as amenable to coming off MSRP.

Why not just ask?

Give them a shot if you’re a serious buyer.

They’d rather swap than lose the business.

It’s not always more expensive to swap.

I was looking at a truck at my local dealer. Told them the one I really wanted was about an hour way. They said they could get that one for $1000 less than the other dealer had it advertised for. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

If you reach out to the other dealer to see what they will do and then go back to the original dealer, there is a very good chance that the dealer will decline to transfer the car. They see that they have someone interested in it and thus they won’t want to lose a sale

That is exactly the situation I don’t want. I don’t want to reach out to the wrong dealership and end up sabotaging myself. Hence why I came here to see what conventional wisdom is in this situation. Seems like all the replies so far suggest asking my local dealer.

Yup. That’s who you started with, so just be straight with them. Show them the unit at the other dealer and ask if they can do the deal or if they’d prefer you go there instead.

Dealership that I’ve worked with over the last 10 years didn’t have the color combo I wanted so they did the leg work for me at no cost or aggravation to me. I’ve done this on my last 2 leases.