Better Than a Lease? A Balloon Loan Primer

The AFG calculator obscures the RV, but you can figure it out by using the balloon loan final payment calculator as I describe in the original post.

The MRM is the market value of the vehicle AFG has established. How well the MRM compares to the MSRP goes a long way to determine if a balloon loan is a good choice for a given vehicle. The best balloon loans have the biggest gap between MRM and the price you actually paid

You only pay sales tax once. If you are using a balloon loan to refinance an existing conventional auto loan, no additional tax collection is usually required. Note that most program would apply used car rates in this scenario

See my comments on MRM. AFG only updates MRM pricing once a year, so often, as we get to the end of the year, there can be gaps, especially where the original manufacturer may have implemented MSRP changes. The other issue with AFG MRM it is doesnā€™t not always factor in the proper value of options, so generally the most favorable MRM are on trims which donā€™t have alot of additional options. Where you can find a favorable MRM will go a long to to a favorable balloon loan outcome.

2 Likes

At the end of last payment the amount left is due.
Its not like lease where one can walk away or buy the car at the buyout price. With BL one can not walkaway he has to pay the final amount to buy the car. That point it could be underwater or could be not. Safe to try selling before the final payment is due and it has some equity to make a profit.
Good thing is one can sell anytime during the length of loan.

1 Like

I know this structure, with a large DP, will not be for everyone, but here is how I am financing my ā€œkeeperā€ Tesla MYP with Americu

Vehicle: Used 2021 Tesla Model Y Performance
Options: Full Self Driving, Rear Air Condition
Purchase Price: $69,000
Down payment: $32,500 (LTV ~53%)
Amount Financed: $36,500
Mileage: 7500/year
Current Odometer: 20,000
No gap coverage
No credit life coverage
No credit disability coverage
No unemployment insurance.

Payment $238 for 24mo
Final Payment $33,136.43
Total Interest after 2 years ~$2400

3 Likes

I have 1 Tesla MY23 RWD on order. NO FSD, $49940 including all fees. Expected delivery Nov to Dec.
I dont see 2023 year on the calculator only 21 and 22. Thinking to get Tesla finance and move to BL payments within a month. I dont keep cars for more then 3 years. Wishing to get delivery in 1/23 to get some EV creditā€¦Looks like the dates are moving for earlier delivery rather later delivery. Maybe too many cancelation of existing orders.

1 Like

For those wanting to apply at CapEd, they will start pulling Experian scores on 9/1. Currently pulling TU FICO 9. The also mentioned they match standard written/approved rates from other competitors.

4 Likes

Curious what your logic is here?

Why is it beneficial to throw down such a large down payment?

Everyoneā€™s situation can be different.

My perspective is, I already paid cash for the car, so I am looking at getting $36.5K back and the only impact is a $238/mo hit to my cash flow.

Itā€™s not that different then a lease one-pay. Iā€™m basically paying most of the interest and principal for the term up front, which dramatically lowers the payment.

If you were to calculate my effective payment (32*20 + 238) it yields $878 with $0 DAS which is still ā€œmuch betterā€ as compared to a Tesla lease and ā€œabout the sameā€ as an 84 mo conventional loan.

Ah theres the piece of information I was missing.

But why not just finance $32k and make a large down payment to begin with?
Because this minimizes cash outflow even though its costing slightly more interest while still betting on 24 month value to leave you with positive equity?

Also, if Iā€™m not mistaken, it seems like all the AFG calculators on the balloons are using old rate info. The calcs have 3.5% for the balloon rate and I believe now the rate is at 4.5%. This is based off this months AFG hot sheet which says that monthly prices are calculated based on 4.5%.

This exactly. The difference in interest between balloon and conventional is not that great, but the payment is almost 50% less.

The AmeriCu calculator rates are accurate, Iā€™m about to close my 2nd loan with them. I have found the rate is set by the credit union and not globally by AFG. I think they are just using an ā€œindustry averageā€ in the hot sheets.

Very interesting, so it actually seems like the rates may be lower than traditional finance in a lot of cases.

Which model are you closing on?

Any thoughts on balloon loan for a 392 rubicon?

Where is the selling price at?

88k MSRP, 2022 392 XR with sky one touch. 10% off MSRP plus $400 doc fee.

$88k msrp? Sounds too high

Yeah it was 83.4K at the time of order in January 2022, but had a few price bumps along the way, and no price protection from the dealer I ordered at (Chapman)

Americu & CapEd ballon rates are very competitive with conventional financing, but the lowest conventional rates from Parsons or Fedchoice (under 2.5%) will work out to a lower TCO as compared to the best balloon options. If you are all about TCO, go with Parson/Fedchoice for 84 months. If you want to trade a lower payment for a slightly higher TCO, go with AmeriCu/CapEd.

FYI-- I will almost always refinance into a balloon loan now. This just eliminates the time dependency which comes into play when buying a hot vehicle.

2022 Jeep Wranger Willys 2door Link
2021 Telsa Model Y Performance Link

Both of the above are with AmeriCu.
Prior to these, I had a Model Y w/ PenFed and a Model S w/ CapEd.

The MRM is $79K so you need to get your total amount financed as far below that as possible, which seems difficult, given the MSRP and discount structure. One of the downsides of this program is that AFG will only update MRM once a year, since we are towards the end of year now, we can see gaps where the manufacturer increase MSRP but MRM did not.

Thats gonna be a no then on the balloon. They dont have any of those additional items in the MRM. It maxes out at $80k. Overall not great offerings from them even at $80k.

Yeah just checked the calculator and I donā€™t think it would work out well in this situation. Was worth a shot though! Thanks for the feedback.

What vehicles are good to look at for this type of financing?