Best time to buy/lease a Honda Clarity or Accord Hybrid in 2019

Unfortunately I don’t make enough this year to benefit fully from the federal tax credit due to switching jobs. The most at one dealership I’ve seen in the bay area is about 3 base models, but all of them are claiming they’ll sell out by this weekend (questionable…).

Hard to say - there just aren’t enough at any dealership to warrant dropping pants for a sale.

I was looking for a clarity and they were in tight supply a few weeks ago. A lot more now. You can check autotrader.com and put in Clarity Hybrid. Also, remember gas prices have gone up a lot the last few months. When gas prices are high the hybrids are in huge demand. But in the last few weeks gas prices have been going down. Go to gasbuddy.com and look yourself. You need to buy a hybrid when gas prices are lower to get a better deal. That is my two cents…

Oh nice, so autotrader.com shows accurate availability? Because some of these dealer sites are showing 5+ in stock but then saying they have none when I email them.
Gas prices make sense. Thanks!

No, it doesn’t. You can place an ad and forget to cancel…happens often with dealers as they like to have inquiries even if they don’t have the cars as they can steer new customers to other models.

Why would lease at this payment when the car would be paid off in 36 months for purchase at same payment? Check out Scott Robinson Honda and Hardin Honda in So Cal. Its an $80 flight for you.

Thanks, I’m definitely considering it, but there are a couple of limiting factors for me.

1. Will only qualify for half of the full federal tax credit
  2. Won’t qualify for the CA tax credit
    Also having a hard time finding dealerships selling at the 26,500 price point they were listing on slickdeals, so it ends up being about $10k difference for buy/lease.
1 Like

Wonder if this incentive available for accord hybrid.

Also is there any thing for Insight hybrid (look like this car is not popular for any incentive or support from manufacturer)?

Thanks a bunch!

Only advantage Clarity has over Accord Hybrid or Insight is HOV sticker. Accord Hybrid is IMO a nicer car than (base) Clarity. I was shopping them in April - they don’t lease well at all because of the Federal tax credit, May had slightly better deals than June. If you want an HOV sticker (which means no CAEV credit when fund is replenished) the Leaf and Bolt lease better, prob the i3 too. The bmw 530e can be had for less than a Clarity Touring. The Volt and Outlander PHEV do not lease well either. Consider taking over someone’s Bolt or Volt lease who already has a sticker before leasing or buying a Clarity.

1 Like

There’s nothing major for the Accord Hybrid or Insight that will get a mooch from this forum to get one.

1 Like

Thank you for the fast response. If iwant to purchase when will be the good time? When the 2020 model come out?

The best time to buy/lease a car if when you need a car. 2020s will probably slowly surface around November.

We’re talking about new 2018 Clarity in June 2019. Honda will eventually have to change the model year and theoretically the best time to “get a deal” is buying Honda is clearing them out, unless they do a blowout lease (unlikely: they don’t want ‘18s with a 35% residual back in 3 years). If you need a car NOW, and this is the one and only whip you want, then work the best deal you can now. If you just want to get the best deal on the Clarity, you don’t mind purchasing, then find one at a couple different dealerships, let them know you’re interested, and track until it gets to where your subjective deal number. The programs change at the beginning of every month. Check now, check July, check Aug until you have a unicorn or there aren’t any left and you missed out.

While you’re waiting, drive the competition. Hondas usually don’t lease (hack) well, the Clarity especially poorly. Other manufacturers may have better incentives or lease better.

Minus ~ 2-4 months.
If you could let us know the deals 2 months in advance that be great.

1 Like

That comes and goes. The $6k one pays East Coast had at the end of last year were just crazy. My net of $228 in SoCal in Jan at that time was only beat by the Fit and some base Civics. The Clarity sales are still quite surprisingly high even with some of the discounts removed so i see no reason Honda will be in any rush to heavily discount again. Still, some will make it work due to extra local credits.

1 Like

Nobody knows the incentives of the future but I will gladly make up something to trick you into the dealership!

2 Likes

Wait, are you saying that’s not in your job description?..jk

Jump on plug in hybrid ford fusion
Just got a deal in NY $244/m for $38k car

2 Likes

Can you post where you bought this? Also, was it a base model or touring?
I am looking for that deal.
Thanks!

Signed: 2019 Ford Fusion Energi Titanium (NY) - Share Deals & Tips - Leasehackr Forum

All info here