Best Small SUV- what do you love?

Hey hackers… I’ve been searching around for a smaller SUV (no third row) and see some crazy good deals that you all get. I’ve searched edmunds and other forums to see about incentives and which suvs tend to lease well but I wanted your opinions… what suv would I be able to realistically get for $350/mo or less including tax (7.55). This will be my first hack … want to do it right and get a great deal, but want to know what I should ideally be looking at. Thanks in advance!

Look into the Equinox— search for prior deals on here. Tough to beat for the price!

Jeep Cherokees should also meet the 1% rule. I’d find one with the new turbo engine.

Subaru Outbacks have really good incentives as well. I last priced 3.6 Limited and Tourings between $330 and $350 (Chicagoland).

1 Like

I know it’s a bit more than you want to spend, but maybe there’s some hacks or a demo you could land… I had one as a loaner when the XT5 was in the shop for a TSB… the T2.0 was fun to scoot around in, felt quicker (but isnt) than my XT5 (3.6), and my 12 y/o didnt complain about back seat room.

I know you can get the small Buick dirt cheap too, but that’s smaller than this one

1 Like

Check out the Tiguan

1 Like

How small SUV should be?
There are midsize and compact SUV like Honda CR-V and Honda HR-V for the size example not necessary the price:)

I’ve seen you mention VW quite a few times on this forum @joeblogs, thanks for weighing in! I see you’re also in Colorado so I keep my eye on what you’ve been saying!

Equinox and terrain often have the best deals depending on timing and if you qualify for rebates. Sometimes in the 200 range.

2 Likes

@Lvs23 just something for two car seats and two dogs. Not concerned with an 8 passenger… just a 5 seater.

How big are the dogs? Are they gonna be in crates? Keep in mind that a 5 seater essentially becomes a two seater with two car seats inside (you’re not getting any normal adult between them), and your rear storage is limited since you cannot fold down the rear seats. Make sure the dogs will fit.

@ElectricEliminator - they are both large but don’t travel with me all the time- no crates. I know I won’t be able to fit any more adults with the car seats but not sure I care about paying for a third row for the occasional time someone extra may need to ride ? Not entirely opposed to it, I suppose, but if I’m trying to cut cost…

Well, it’s definitely not a compact SUV than we are talking about.
Btw, we have two car seats but no dogs and I find even just regulars trips to Costco or somewhere else where we need to bring stroller, food, spare clothe it’s easier to fit everything into what you call 7 seater. We have QX60 now. And I like the ability to just shovel everything into the trunk without having to play Tetris every time.

Depending on the deal you get you might find 7 seater priced just as 5 seater. Everyone wants 5 seater now and this very hot market.
7 seater I feel is more limited as not everyone needs it thus possibly get better deal.

Just need to wait for the right time.

@305Hackr
We had a 2015. 2 biggest complaints are the NA 4cyl and the cloth used on the front seats (SLE2)
Get the v6 ( or turbo 4 if avail) abs seat covers or leather

Hey, look at the Jeep Cherokee Limited, I leased one for $319 per month $2k due at sign. Good luck!

1 Like

How high is your elevation? Maybe FI engine over NA if torque and HP matter to you.

Thought I saw Outback leasing well in someone’s post?

In New England and upstate NY it’s also safe to buy a Subaru because they hold their value well

@max_g We sit at 4800’

@Lvs23- the whole family currently shares a Honda Civic so I think anything will feel spacious at this point :joy:

Search for Outback and sort by latest.

1 Like

Lol, how crammed do you need to be to fit in Civic??? And what happens with the dogs?

@Lvs23 :joy::joy: the dogs travel with us less (which is why we’d like at least a little cargo space haha). Thankfully we are small people hahaha

@max_g looking up outback now!

Another important question - what’s your time frame?

I haven’t seen many awesome deals on midsize SUV outside of recent gold rush to clear out 2018 BMWs.

The funny thing Highlander may have something interesting going on later on in the year when 2020 redesigned will start showing up.

But mid size SUV is a very crowded market and almost every brand has one these days:)
Just at least need to try a few to get an idea for size and features.

But that also depends if you have time for that.