Best PHEV Leases on SUVs for August 2023? What have you leased?

They why PHEV? You gotta charge it daily.
If you are not going to charge, it’s often worse than a regular hybrid or a full EV.

1 Like

Wrangler 4xe? Slightly cheaper than GC 4xe for lease and comparable for rav4 prime for financing.

The Outlander is the only PHEV with fast charging. I’m considering one if there is a compelling deal between now and the end of the year.

The Volvo’s would be my second choice as I like the XC styling, and the 455hp!

I currently have a 2020 Niro PHEV, and leaning towards an EV next.

Which of you posted the cx90 as a deal on slickdeal?

STAMPEDE INBOUND!

Does anyone really need that though?

The whole point of a PHEV is that you charge at work/home (when you’re not in need of fast charging) and drive electric within the electric range, then you use combustion if you need to.

Who tf wants to stop … to charge a PHEV? Why even lug around an ICE if you’re gonna keep stopping to charge the electric motor?

1 Like

For good reason. Its a pointless waste of money on a phev.

1 Like

Wish more PHEV’s had fast charging. I’d definitely pay extra for the ability to charge in 30 mins versus 3hr on L2.

Why? Are you really going to stop every 30 miles for 10-15 minutes to get enough charge to drive another 30 miles, and pay as much as gas to enjoy the inconvenience?
Have you had a phev previously? The only people I have ever talked to that thought fast charging made sense for phevs were people that have never actually lived with a phev.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve had an EV, and currently have a PHEV. Fast charging would come in handy when running errands. I use public chargers a few times a week when out and about.

Of course I wouldn’t stop every 30 miles to charge… that would be beyond stupid.

Unless there happens to be a dc fast charger in the parking lot of your errands, youre still talking about going out of your way to pay as much as gas to sit and waste time.

2 Likes

No manufacturer in their right mind wants to add cost and complexity for such a rare use-case. That would be stupid too. No wonder Mitsubishi is the only one that does it.

Well it seems the Polestar 1 and Range Rover PHEV also have fast charging.

Having the ability to charge 7-10 times faster then L2 doesn’t sound stupid to me.

Hey if you want to keep charging your PHEV while you’re out running errands, no one’s gonna stop you. Just don’t expect anyone else to follow suit or expect this feature from more manufacturers.

The polestar 1 also has a ~100 mil electric range with a battery pack the size of a small ev. Its more a series hybrid with a powerful range extender than a traditional phev

Mid-trim Outlander PHEV is well-equipped (with/ 360 camera) and the cheapest to finance. Not sure about the resale value.

Did anyone manage to lease an Outlander PHEV and buy out in the following month, or so? If yes, what kind of interest rate did you get? Thanks!

I did a road trip from east coast to west coast in my Outlander PHEV. Over the course of 10 days, I did stop at a fast charger 2-3 times.

That said, it absolutely doesn’t make sense to go out of your way to fast charge on a road trip. Zero, zilch. You have to be willing to plan your trip around DC fast chargers. Given the lack of reliability, it ends up being a huge time sink. It gets old pretty quick after reaching a dead fast charger you went out of your way to seek out. The wasted time doesn’t make up for the 1 gallon of gas saved.

5 Likes

I agree with @Jay_Vee that it would be handy to have DCFC in more PHEV’s, but only if DCFCs were more ubiquitous. I’ve owned in Boston and Orange County - two places that are pretty EV friendly IMHO. Neither had enough DCFC for it to be practical. For other countries it makes more sense. I read chademo is everywhere in Japan, so value proposition there is likely higher. Maybe with NACS adapter and Tesla interop this could change down the line?

But as it stands right now, I’m gonna have to agree that the cost and out weights the benefit. The extra weight, materials, and money to add the DCFC hardware doesn’t make sense. Bad business decision on Mitsubishi’s part I think. But if I could get this for the same or lower price as other PHEV SUVs, I’d jump.

As others have said, PHEVs are not the use case for DCFC.

In my opinion, high speed DCFC on long range EVs actually obsolesces PHEVs. Once infrastructure builds out, the dependence on ICE for long range decreases.

Even for local commuting, an EV on L1/L2 charging at home gives you more mileage than a PHEV.

Why overnight charge for 25-40 miles when you can do that for 50+? Or the same 25-40 miles “fill-up” in less time to save on energy costs?

I don’t get why someone would ask. There’s not enough infrastructure to avoid range anxiety yet. This thread is for today not the future. Today, I can no longer order a 530e to replace mine when the lease ends. This car is perfect for me. Zero emissions commute and Costco gas trips every 6-8 weeks. I don’t see a good replacement today.

1 Like