Best deal July 2022 on an SUV or truck that will tow ~5500lb on hilly roads?

Hi Hackers, I need to acquire another vehicle this month, with the main requirement (other than a respectable deal) being to move a ~5500lb trailer around the country. If you’ve done a lot of towing miles, you know that just because a mid-sized SUV has a 6000lb tow rating doesn’t mean it can hold 65mph uphill with that trailer.

Like many of us on the forum, I am a bit spoiled by my past leases - one of which was a $45k Ram Crew Cab Hemi 1500 that I took home in 2014 for $240/mo on a 24/10, with about $600 DAS. Obviously deals like that are far behind us in 2022, so this is my last shot at hunting for a lease before I (shudder) buy. I’d rather sign the deal in New England, since that’s where the trailer is located, but I am willing to pick up anywhere in the country, and can register in CA, MA, or FL.

Short durations and low mileage allowances are not an issue. Thanks in advance for any suggestions that are not a 4cyl Frontier!

1 Like

Might be able to do ok on a durango

Or maybe a Jeep GC/GCL? They lease decently well in this market

Ya, not a bad option

The Ram Big Horns and Laramies are incentivized this month (not sure about July until tomorrow) reach out to a broker @Clutch or @AutoCompanion can likely help.

3 Likes

But he’ll have to dispense with the ole ‘worth $240/mo’ metric.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.