Best car/suv for under $400/mo with lots of comfort, room, and decent MPG?

Interested to hear feedback from the Hackers - what’s your fave picks for under $400/mo? My criteria are pretty simple - just looking for something that’s comfortable to spend time in for more than a couple of hours. Something that I can cruise around in comfort that gets at least mid 20s MPG highway. Oh - and preferably something with a really, really, really good stereo.

Also I’m a taller guy with broad shoulders so that kinda rules out things like the 3 series and possibly even the C Class. The car is mainly just for me to get around town and the occasional road trip with friends. It also needs to be reasonably presentable due to really wealthy clients.

A few that I know of or have looked at:

• Infiniti Q50 (3.0 sport or luxe) like it a lot, but not a ton of cargo/trunk space
  • BMW X1, like it a lot, better cargo space but the standard seats kind of suck, upper end trims are over $400.
  • Volvo S90, not really for me, feels too big and complicated to operate
  • Jeep Grand Cherokee, really like it a lot but not sure I need something this big every day?
  • Subaru Forester (upper trims), seems good, but haven’t had a chance to drive it long term

Also not sure which of these brands include free maintenance so I can factor that in to the monthly cost. I know BMW does but not sure about any others.

1 Like

How tall is tall? I’m 6’3 and have no problem with 3 series/Giulia size sedans, not much space behind my seat though once adjusted. The nicer BMW models and trims are probably going to have to be ex-loaners to get under $400. The GLC300 with Burmester upgrade sounds very good, but space is similar to a mid-size sedan.

I’m about 6’1", but the 3 series feels really cramped to me for some reason, and 5 series I’m not really a fan of. Was going to maybe consider the 3 GT, which is pretty good, but not sure I can get past the look. Mercedes is even worse in terms of size, GLE feels like a X3, GLC feels like an X1, etc. Their sedans are a little better, just mainly the CLA being too small to fit.

Some of these options you discuss are impossible. The rest you need to hussle. Maybe jeep gc or infinty are most viable.

That’s funny because the GC is probably gonna be the most difficult out of all those

GC limited can be had at 400. A few deals posted recently. I helped someone get a 45k msrp at 395 with no loyalty or competitive lease. Drive off was about 1500. So with comptetitive lease is 500 drive offs.

That’s pretty good considering they have a really bad residual. I’m probably looking at the Altitude for around 42k, or even a Laredo 4x4 with some options - I drove a 2016 Laredo all weekend and was really happy with it minus the infotainment screen (or lack of it), and the start stop.

Might be wrong but rebates might not be as good for altitude. Limited is the sweet spot.

The GC isn’t that big, the Q50 is about the same length.

Is ingress/egress an issue or is it just comfort while in vehicle? [With my back and knees, stooping down to get in anything low is a problem]. My wife’s qx60 is nice middle ground as you just sort of slide in sideways. There is plenty of knee/shoulder room and MPG in ECO mode has been amazing: she topped 30mpg for a couple of hours recently and was at 28.3 for the entire beach trip (while blasting AC because heat index has been 100-110 the last week).

IMO this deserves more consideration. You need something mature and aspirational without being ostentatious. Think Volvo, upper end VW, etc but not BMW, MB, etc. And something like a Forester is just way too dowdy.

1 Like

How about those 399+tax Stelvio deals, the 399 is the ti sport…

I just don’t know how soon you need it.

Just remember when you are entertaining wealthy clients, there are 2 schools of thought. The aspirational portrayal, that oh this person must be successful because they drive a luxury badge vs. the salt of the earth perspective, this guy is driving a luxury badge, I am paying him/her way too much money.

Very good point. Jeep is a good medium.

You can def do a GC, I got a Limited GC 75th anniversary MSRP of 47 and change, 399 a mo with just taxes and first month down.

1 Like

Honestly, from everything you’ve said, the Volvo S90 seems to be the only one which ticks all the boxes. You mentioned it felt too big - do you think you could adapt to that within a few months? When I got my 3 series, it was my first “modern” car, so it felt massive. But I got used to it within a couple weeks.

I leased what is pretty close to a base model X1 for ~$390/mo including CA taxes, $0 down / drive-off (MSRP of ~$38K). The seats are less nice than some things I’ve sat in but the price seemed right / fit my needs

Yeah it didn’t feel out of control huge. Just a step up from say an X1, Forester, or even a Tiguan. It’s noticeably much bigger on the road and inside than the Cherokee. That’s nice when doing weekend trips out of town, but honestly I could always rent something that big the few times a year I needed it.

Yeah it sucks, but I have to consider it. Upper end trims of the Forester aren’t as bad though, namely the Touring. Lower end BMW or Mercedes I feel would also be fine, something like an i3 or 3 series or X1. Hell Volvo costs more than all of those.

This is LA though, so things like the Wrangler might also work, especially in Sahara trim, but that’s probably out of the budget. I mean I could feasibly afford $600 or more a month on a car, I’m just a cheap bastard and would rather spend the money on trips or whatever.

It’s tough to find that right balance between fitting in parked next to client’s range rovers and bentaygas, to not screaming “give me a ticket I can afford it” whilst travelling out of town, especially since I like going to Baja every year.

It’s more ingress/egress I think, it feels like I’m getting in/out of a clown car cramming myself in. Not to that extent, but you get the idea! I’m sure if it were the 4 series with larger doors it’d be easier. It still feels kinda small inside though, maybe slightly larger than the Lexus IS which feels pretty small.