Be prepared to pay sticker PRI$$$$E!

So what happens to all the consumers buying new leases today at MSRP. Let’s say they Lease a car with an MSRP of $25,000 and they are paying $475 a month for that lease, what happens when the entire market corrects and the chip shortage that once was is no longer and that same car that was leased at $475 a month is now leasing out at 289 a month with an invoice price of $22500? Who is going to feel the pinch, the leasee or the car company. My guess is no one feels the pinch but maybe the consumer who decided to over pay for a car during a chip shortage crunch, right?

There were a lot of people paying $475/mo for a $25k msrp car before the chip shortage. Most people don’t check leasehackr forums to see what things are leasing for like every single day, so the saying “Ignorance is bliss” would still apply.

3 Likes

Lease residual is the same whether the buyer pays over retail or a huge discount…their payment is just a lot higher.

I see my clients and friends leases…and they stink. I try to educate them, but they just don’t want to listen…seems like most of them are set on a particular model or trim, which makes negotiating much tougher in most cases.

rather walk then drive a mirage, much less at a 6k markup

6 Likes

The Mirage is the only rental car I hate as much as the RAV4.

I may have made claims in other posts that I hate the Mirage more, but since then I’ve been stuck with a RAV4 for a second time.

So I’m no longer certain.

2 Likes

Just you wait until they give you a mistubishi eclipse cross. You’re going to be begging for that Rav4.

Interestingly, Avis gave me an HRV for the trip I’m currently on. It’s not bad at all, other than being woefully underpowered.

1 Like

I’d take my chances with the Eclipse.

You’ll only make that mistake once.

Im in a Kia Optima FE rental…are you guys saying your rentals are worse than this?

2 Likes

Lord have mercy on this poor mans soul, he knoweth not what he drives.

RIP :skull_and_crossbones:

You never know how bad a rental can be until you have a mitsubishi eclipse cross.

1 Like

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

Toyota Rav4

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost:

The market is softening and New Car prices are dropping

3 Likes

Doesn’t the car market usually soften around this time of the year? Or am I wrong?

No. Not really. For August, LHers are going to see a definite adjustment on the Used Car Market

2 Likes

Does that mean your store isn’t MSRP across the board anymore? Or was that never the case? Don’t expect 4Runners or Tacos to get discounted anytime soon but what about Corolla/Camrys.

That means that there isn’t any market adjustment anymore. I am still at MSRP for every vehicles except for Tundras and Land Cruisers

2 Likes
2 Likes

Thanks for this! I had messaged Matt last night about this same subject.

2 Likes

Roll equity into down payment.

1 Like