Be prepared to pay sticker PRI$$$$E!

Ford is now offering 66% residual for 36/10 on the f150.

They are predicting a 75k f150 will be worth $49,500 for a truck that is 3 years old and 30k miles.

In a normal market that truck is worth 45k at most dealers.

In today’s market it’s worth roughly 50-52k

I haven’t looked at other vehicles, so I have no idea, could be isolated I guess.

They haven’t raised the Tacoma residual to 102% yet. :joy:

19 Likes

There’s a parking garage I see on the train every day in NJ between Harrison and Newark that was at one point filled with what looked to be BMWs that still had the protective film attached to them. My best guess is that some dealer nearby was renting the space for excess inventory. That entire garage has been empty for quite a while now.

3 Likes

Buy now or be priced out forever… :rofl:

1 Like

I feel like the residual is 102%. Was looking at my lease paperwork on my 2019 Tacoma a little while ago. Sale price was ~ $32,800. 21 months later with 21k miles on it Vroom is offering $36,225 for it. Now if only I could find a replacement.

2 Likes

I don’t know what everyone is crying about. My local supermarket is stock full of chips. Lots of brands and flavors to choose from.

15 Likes

Driving a car for free for 21 months plus walking away with 3,500 dollars would be a pretty epic lease hack.

I know someone in DC who sold both his trucks for crazy amounts (about what he paid, after tax 18 and 24 months respectively) to Carvana and a Chevy dealership. He then got a base 2020 AWD MDX OTD for 34k for temporary wheels. He figures drive it for six months, sell it and get a new truck or two when supply returns.

3 Likes

That sounds like an asset and not a liability :grinning: Sign me up for that!

1 Like

My Volvo is up in January, but figured I’d do pull-ahead. But not if it costs me more $.

If the problem remains, thank goodness in New York we have trains and the Citibike program!!!

I have driven my leased 2018 RAV4 for 11k miles in 34 months now.

The gross cap cost was 22.5k.

Yesterday I got a quote from CarMax that they would buy it for 21.3k cash !!! What is going on??? My residual is 14.5 K in my contract!

I know I didn’t use the miles but even a 36k mileage one is now listed on dealerships for 20-22k !!! Am I missing something? What has happened to the world?

The used car market is going insane right now

2 Likes

I know but what’s the point? With a couple of grands extra you can get the new 2021 year model. I don’t think the free market rules have changed.

Shhh don’t tell them…

Supply and demand is alive and well.

1 Like

Some people don’t want a “new” car even though they can afford it. :man_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

There’s so many people out there that refuse to buy new because of the depreciation so they go for a car that’s 1-2 years old because they think it’s a better deal. Except that many times they end up paying the same or more for a used vehicle compared to a new one because of rebates etc.

9 Likes

Actually they have to raise RVs so much!! My Lease depreciation has been only 4k for 36months, exactly half of what they estimated in 2018. I should have paid $110/m instead of $220/m for my RAV4?

Thought of this comment walking my dog tonight when I stopped to talk to a neighbor. She mentioned she had just bought a Highlander from Carvana. The woman was standing outside her million dollar home.

She said she just didn’t want to deal with the “dealership experience.”. I bite my tongue and walked away. I wonder how much it is her not wanting to deal with the dealership experience versus just not knowing that she was paying about the same price for a used Highlander as a new one.

6 Likes

One reason Tesla is successful. No haggling

2 Likes

I always wonder for folks who dont like haggling, and sorry if this is offtopic, whats stopping them from literally telling the dealership I’d like to pay the msrp or msrp+all the adms?

1 Like