Baffled by how bad the RAV4 is

Fwiw - My wife cross shopped the rav4 and similar vehicles in this class in 2018, and Mazda’s CX-5 proved to be best value, driving dynamic, options, etc. - to us anyway.

Driving a RAV4 is the best way to tell the world that you’ve given up on all of your dreams.

18 Likes

The honor previously being held by another Toy, the Prius.

To be fair, I believe the current rav4 went on sale in early 2019, so you were likely cross-comparing with the last gen. But I do agree that CX-5 leads the class in driving dynamics and interior comfort/design.

Good point. I should have added that prior to her lease ending (yes market was getting a little crazy but not as bad as now) we made the rounds and still couldn’t find what we felt was a better option in ‘21. Didn’t make sense to upgrade to a newer CX-5 either so we bought out the ‘18.

2 Likes

We rented a 2021 Rav4 Adventure for our Yosemite trip around Dec., great A to B SUV.
Vary noisy on freeway indeed…
We also had a 2019 NX 300h(last gen platform), camera is almost the same. It rides a lot like a boat… very soft, but still got some wind noise after 65 mph, which is a bit annoying.
I don’t think Toyota prioritize the interiors design, most people get Toyota for functionality and reliability, and nothing else.
We always pick Toyota for our rental if available, since it’s the only brand that has a lot more safety features and ACC(adopted cruise control) standard on all their newer modals.
We rented 4Runner, Highlander too, all of them are 2021 modals and all of them feel the same, dated interior, especially the 4Runner, that thing feel like at least 15 years old.

1 Like

Revisit this when they come off warranty. :hourglass:

4 Likes

I think it depends on the customer base and what they value at the end of the, not what reviewers or spec chasers want.

The customer for a 4R wants to go off the beaten path, overland, and then come home. The competition like the Bronco or even higher end Defender can take you there for sure, and in style, comfort and luxury, but only the 4R can bring you back safely.

Same thing with the Rav4, its not going to bowl the owner with driving performance like the Mazda, or big screen like the Hyundai Tuscon but its going to make sure it works as a basic home appliance for as long as you own it. No recalls for fire risks or engine block replacements. And based off the sales numbers its a winning formula. Plus when you end the lease or decide to sell, the equity in these vehicles is probably going to be higher then the competition.

However life is too short, and its 4xe or nothing

Honda Jeep GIF

I don’t keep most of my vehicles long enough to even think about the warranty. Let the next guy worry about it. :grin:

THat must be me then, driving a 2010 as the daily beater

Yea really, they make exciting cars but nothing I want to own for 10 years unlike a Toyota or Honda, or even a Chevy fullsize truck

1 Like

You’ll have to excuse my lack of affinity for a manufacturer that has been passed around like a spliff of skunky green for the last two decades.

1 Like

No, I don’t think it was me. But I did post a G63 with $125K ADM :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fixed it for ya. :grin:

1 Like

Do you need to even wait that long? :frowning:

I agree w/ @Stonksonlygoup. And I think Toyotas can grow on you. We rented one for a road trip a few yrs ago (last gen Camry). Ohmigod, the first impressions were SO bad that we initially thought about returning it or taking one of our own cars instead (one of our cars isn’t comfortable for road trips; another one has high mileage). It felt cheap and nasty.

But then, when you’re on the open road, you sort of appreciate how the fonts and graphics look like they were sized for people w/ visual-acuity issues (they’re certainly easy to decipher at a quick glance). The seats that initially felt cheap as sh*t at least don’t become any more uncomfortable over time (which isn’t something I could say for the MB C-Class from 2 generations ago). The car doesn’t encourage you to drive over 40 MPH (after which it started to become disturbing floaty), which is sort of relaxing in its own way. The car overall does exactly what you need it to do w/o bringing much attention to itself. And I think that’s what most people (at least in the US) want.

2 Likes

Slow, noisy, mediocre mpg, very mediocre infotainment and mediocre driver aid tech was my rental experience with a reasonably high spec rav4 rental. My guess it’s popularity is still a function of Toyota’s reputation and the fact that it looks pretty good/rugged in the “off-road” specs.

1 Like

they really can be made to look super rugged and cool but it’s not enough to offset the rest IMO

1 Like

Wow that does look pretty good

1 Like

Shhh you guys are costing Cody sales

4 Likes