Average new car prices break records, historical price now at $41,000!

You sound like angry, cranky , fed up with all this whiny shit Gen X. I always watch the boomer vs millennial/z fights, and all I keep thinking is there is a whole generation in between that’s tired of both of your bullshit!

4 Likes

Don’t get me started on boomers. They’re way more to blame for this countries woes with their complacency. They benefited from everything and contributed almost nothing. They were the true lottery winners in the corporation of the United States of America.

3 Likes

It’s funny to watch generations argue, especially when it’s the same-old “these kids today have it so easy! they’re so lazy! blah blah blah” vs. “old people just don’t get it!” The exact same conversation has been happening since antiquity.

It’s like the aging brain can’t do anything to seek comfort except finding ways to complain about how the world is changing. And find unicorn lease deals :joy:.

1 Like

Yes the powers that be love pitting us against each other. I get it. Have you tried talking economics with your average boomer? Or tried hiring a millennial?

4 Likes

Crazy thought. You don’t HAVE to go 100K in debt to go to college. You act like this is a necessity life like food and shelter.

2 Likes

Instead of defaulting…or letting students default on loans they chose to take out how about we put them to work to pay them down? Infrastructure throughout the country could surely use a boost. We’ll put you up in dorm type housing, provide a cafeteria to eat in, and you can have a day off a week.

Sit back and watch how many loans no longer trend towards defaulting.

Overall, too many sheep in this country and not enough lions.

The word you are looking for is forced labor camp.

3 Likes

Crazy thought, it’s not whether or not you have to, it’s the fact that millions DID.

Saying “you shoulda not done that” does not fix the problem.

2 Likes

Crazier is that when I went to my state’s university as a resident in the 1980’s, I did not accrue any debt as tuition was $10 per unit.

I did work part time as a security guard to pay for the books though.

Glad I did not have to rack up any student loan debts…

2 Likes

What problem? That people made dumb decisions and now regret it? No one put a gun to their heads and made them take a loan. Why don’t we have a government program to buy out all the stupid leases that people made on this site?

Bad decisions have consequences it’s called being an adult.

The “crisis” will end when people stop taking out 100K loans to major in under water basket weaving.

1 Like

Let’s stay on topic, which is about car prices.

6 Likes

7 posts were merged into an existing topic: Off Topic Landfill 5

What a thoughtful, nuanced take. Torn between the cognitive dissonance of “I don’t identify with my generation” as you make absurd, broad generalities about… idk yourself? or describing the mere potential of the law being fully enforced against potential tax cheats in the very same paragraph talking about “entitlement”.

3 Likes

This!
Yes yes yes and yes!

Buddy of mine said his brother paid $75k for a Dodge diesel, he flew to Montana or Idaho to pick it up and waited like 3 months for it. This young man has ZERO need for a big truck like that but they are all the rage in CA.

1 Like

For 75k I’d be in many different types of cars over a diesel pick up. So much better out there for that kind of scratch.

3 Likes

Whaaaaaat?? There’s a labor shortage. Businesses can’t fill positions fast enough. And this isn’t specific to industry… it’s practically across the board, blue collar, white collar… This is one of the BEST job markets in a long time if you’re looking for a job.

I graduated in 2007… if you’re curious about what a difficult job market really is…

4 Likes

Different strokes. However he will have likely 80% of msrp in 4-5 years on that thing if he doesn’t put a ton of miles on. So his effective payment will likely be very low. You can’t say the same about most cars that are more fun to drive.

https://www.reuters.com/business/finance/goldman-sachs-raise-pay-junior-investment-bankers-business-insider-2021-08-02/

As someone who went through a 2 year IB analyst program, no amount of money justifies the crap that goes into that job. It’s absolutely awful. I’m sure it was even worse during the pandemic, when there was nothing else to do except work. They have to raise salaries to prevent people from quitting from burn out. Most will quit anyway - the attrition at the junior ranks is insane.

7 Likes

This is true - those capital advisory, IB, private equity jobs are horrible — Answering calls at 12:30am - working till 1am and waking up at 5am to look at a spreadsheet is horrible.

My boss never slept and was always chasing money -had a Russian wife he never saw -

the carrot they dangle is the fat bonus - quarantine caused burnout because there was no place to escape -

I personally had a pipeline of $1BN in dealflow in 2020 - Burned out and quit in Jan 21 -

Spent 5 years doing this work and quarantine pushed me over the edge

4 Likes