Audi Lease with 12 months left-Keep or Sell?

Hi LH community, I hope everyone has been staying safe and healthy. I have a 2018 A7 Competition that I leased in Feb 2019 and I have only driven 12k miles on a 3yr/36k lease (didnt drive much in 2019 because work was 10 min away, and 2020 was primarily remote due to COVID).

With relatively low miles on my lease, I have been thinking about maximizing its value and ending the lease early by selling the A7. Not expecting to get any equity but looking to break even.

My payoff is 45k, vroom offered 44.6k so essentially break even, however I still need them to call AFS to see what their third-party buyout is. KBB offer was around 40.5k ish IIRC. Carvana was 37k.

Questions:

1. Does my payoff amount decrease per month?
  2. Should I wait a few months and get updated values from vroom, carvana?

I have thoroughly enjoyed the A7, but with having low miles on it I am trying to get some flexibility and explore my options of moving into a Audi S7 or BMW M5C, or even waiting a few months and see what deals may arise.

Thanks for reading.

It’s likely much higher. Either way, your ability to decide is moot without knowing that number ie knowing your actual negative equity

Yes, your payoff does go down with each payment but so could your best offer from Vroom etc. All those future variables fall into crystal ball territory which always devolves into useless arguments between people arguing about what could happen and are therefore closed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response! Left them a message and waiting to hear back.

You need a third party payoff from Audi. Don’t be surprised if buyout is significantly higher. Lots of recent horror stories. It’s their asset, and they can charge anything they want to a third party. Something to keep in mind. GLWT :slight_smile:

2 Likes

AFS will not give you dealer payoff- only your personal one.

Branded dealership (aka Audi) will be your personal payoff minus sales tax.

Non-branded (non-Audi) will be a different amount- typically a few thousand $ more. The non-branded dealership is the only ones who can get the dealership payoff amount. It’s a PITA.

Good luck-

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Yeah I’ve read on other threads that the dealer or third party has to call and it’s a headache. Trying to coordinate that now.

Hi everyone, finally got some information to move forward.

Audi payoff to vroom, bmw dealer, audi dealer: $44,395, $44,495, $42,600

Vroom trade-in: $43,600
BMW trade-in: $42,000 (had to negotiate up from $39k)
Audi trade-in: $39,000 (would not budge, but said they would happily roll the negative equity into an S7 or RS7 lease for me lol)

I am thinking I will trade it into vroom and pay the negative equity. I was hoping to breakeven but this is close enough for me.

Time to start scouring the marketplace for an m5 deal :star_struck: